What do you think of levitations?

Wikipedia describes them as, "There is no compelling evidence to suggest that paranormal levitation is a real phenomenon.

The scientific and empiricist communities traditionally attribute such incidents to trickery, illusion, auto-suggestion, unseen natural causes, or most frequently simply deny the existence of any such phenomenon.[citation needed]

The spiritualists and religious communities tend to interpret metaphysical levitation as the supernatural action of the Holy Spirit, a God, a poltergeist, psychokinesis, or some other being or force within their own belief system. Spiritualists or yogis however almost always claim that metaphysical levitation occurs during altered state, such as mysticism rapture or ecstasy, demonic possession, trance or channeling."

Do you believe it? Have you ever done it or seen it done? Did it involve meditation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was in Martial Arts, one of my sensei's was into some hardcore buddhist meditation/mind over matter type stuff. I got very into all of it, at first to improve my fighting ability. And later just out of pure curiosity.

And yes I had experiences with it; I have personally levitated (you don't have to believe me; I wouldn't blame you at all). But I don't think it was "power" from my mind, I strongly feel like it was demonic especially since there were some other experiences going on at the time too. A lot of things happened and it was all pretty scary.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I believe that all things are possibe with the proper energy and knowhow. Now, Have I seen it? Do I have proof? No! Do I think I ever will? Nope, but I will probibly never see a Tsunami either, but that doesn't mean they aren't real. Just because there is no phsical or scientific proof, doen't dis-proove either. Put simply, lack of proof does not proove lack of existance!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Kinda up. In the early 1980's, I just to watch the Hip Hypnosist on Showtime. I saw her act for real in Lake Tahoe. Amazing, funny stuff. At the end of the act to show the power of the mind, she picks one person who she has hypnotized at lays them on two chairs.Their head & feet are on the backs of the chairs. They were always completely straight. Nothing supporting them inbetween. Just their head and feet. the mind is powerful and can do anything.

If we can conceive it, it can be true. After all we are made in God's image.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I believe it's possible. I've never seen it done (other then on t.v. and in movies). But, I believe the mind is a VERY powerful force that can do things that no one has even thought of yet.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• At slumber parties when I was young 4 of us would us two fingers to "levitate" another girl. 2 on one side 2 on the other..2 on the head and 2 at the feet, and we got it to work once or twice..pretty weird.. We also practiced putting people in trances, and getting the to open proverbial doors to their mind.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• use* not us
    mumma28

• Oh, I also believe that the whole "light as a feather" jr. high sleepover stuff can happen too. I have had experiences with that as well. But I believe that is also part of the occult and demonic.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Illusions
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• At slumber parties when I was young 4 of us would us two fingers to "levitate" another girl. 2 on one side 2 on the other..2 on the head and 2 at the feet, and we got it to work once or twice..pretty weird..

That's actually simple physics.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• "That's actually simple physics."

I am not trying to argue that with you at all, but I was just wondering if you could explain it?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2009