I just got the Rhogam Shot At 11 Weeks Will This Cause a Miscarriage??

I went to the e.r. for a little cramping and when they did the ultrasound they said I have placenta previa which is common early in pregnancy. The thing that I'm worried about right now is having it done so early in my pregnancy. With my first pregnancy I had it done at 28 weeks, Now I'm just very worried its going to cause harm to my baby. The e.r. doctor assured me that its better that I have it then not... Has anyone else had this shot early in pregnancy???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm guessing with the placenta previa that there is a chance your bloods could mix and that was the reason for the shot. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right but if the baby was RH+ and your RH- then your body might try to attack the baby and cause a miscarriage. With the shot I would think it would be safer to have it given the circumstances. I'm not sure though. Call your Dr. for reassurance.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Did you have to have the RhoGam shot also after you gave birth or was your baby a negative. I hadnt heard of it being given so early but it could be because of the Placenta previa. I wonder if you will have to get it again later down the line. Hmm, if I were you, I would be having some questions for my regular doctor. When I had the RhoGam shot, I had it at 28 weeks and then again after birth because my daughter was an 0+. Good Luck hunny.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had a Rhogam shot with each pregnancy since I'm 0-. With my last one I was about 2-3 months along and I drove 16 hours to go home for my grandpa's funeral and I started bleeding a little. I didn't go in but when I told my doctor about it they said that any sign of bleeding or anything like that when you're 0- you need to get the Rhogam shot even that early pregnancy just to be safe. I think they'll still give it to you around 28 weeks when you're supposed to get it as well.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I've never even heard of this shot- I no got tested for RH and what not- should I be concerned that I never received this shot?

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• This is completely safe. Rhogam won't harm your baby, it will protect him/her from harm. I am RH- and have had 5 daughters. With my last one I had Rhogam early for an amnio.

JnCV you only get Rhogam is you have an RH- blood type.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• well, i have an issue w/ them administering the rhogam shot. there's absolutely no reason to do this prenatally. what if your baby is rh-? then the shot was not needed. it's safer to give the shot after birth, w/in the 72 hours, and only if there was trauma.
    http://www.vaccinetruth.org/rhogam.htm
    http://www.unhinderedliving.com/rhogam.html
    "Anti-D in Midwifery" by Sara Wickham
    the rhogam shot is not fully screened, so that means certain diseases can still be present like HIV and Hep C. it has so many possible side effects, like local inflammation, malaise, chills, fever, and anaphylaxis.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2009