Getting comfortable...

My DD who is 19 months old is doing wonderful with sleeping in her new toddler bed. But we are having one problem. If she wakes up in the middle of the night she panics. She screams like someone is killing her. She has a night light in there, that dimly lights the room, so its not like she cant see. She knows how to get in and out of her bed. And she knows how to turn on the tv. This confuses me. When she wakes up in the morning, she is fine, she will get out of bed and play until someone comes to get her. So why is the middle of the night such a dramatic problem for her? Any ideas?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably nightmares.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would speak to her doctor about it, it could be night terrors. Your pediatrician might have some solutions that help.
    Anonymous

• Night terrors? My dd has only had a couple. Even though I knew what night terrors were and how kids can act with them she kept telling me her neck hurt and she was screaming and wouldn't stop. I ended up calling 911 because she kept screaming about her neck. They came and they couldn't get a straight answer out of her. She kind of woke up from it while they were there and she said her neck was fine. They said it was a night terror, gave her a cute pink stuffed dog and went on their way. She woke up the next morning asking where she got it from. She didn't remember any of it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Awe poor baby! I don't know if you're a praying mom, but I'd start with praying with her during those times.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree w/ sadira29. My 4 yr old came to my bed & starting screaming. Woke me right up. I had no clue. I asked the pedtrician and he said she was asleep. I noticied she used to talk in her sleep @ midnight, mumble, etc. Eventually she grew out of it. It is terrifying though. Just let her finish screaming and put her back in bed. She didn't sleepwalk/scream much, but it did freak me out. She continued to talk in her sleep for 2-3 years.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I was thinking night terrors too. But how can I know for sure? She doesnt talk much. So its not like I can ask her. How would her doctor know? And is it normal for it to happen like 2 times a week or more? She had this same problem when she was in her crib. I thought the freedom of being able to just get out of bed and play would cure the problem. I was wrong I suppose. And it wouldnt be so bad to deal with if she would calm down and go back to sleep after I go comfort her, but she wont. Once I go up there she is wide awake and ready to play. I cant afford to keep missing sleep. She is almost 2 and still barely sleeping through the night. And yes, she is on a regular, consistant schedule. She eats well. And is otherwise a normal child. Its just this waking in the middle of the night stuff...I cant take it much longer.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Night terrors usually present themeselves and the child really has no memory of them, they may appear awake but aren't really. The fact that she is wide awake afterwards may say that it isn't night terrors, but something else...what is the question.

I don't advocate CIO under any circumstances, but what happens if you don't go to her right away? I really think it might just be nightmares versus night terror's, and at her age it would be really hard for her to explain it.

I would however not let her get up to play, I always tell my kids that if the sun is sleeping, so should you be, mainly at night this works since the sun is up most of the day in the summer. I know you are tired, I have 7 and haven't slept through the night in like 18 years.....but it is a really small time frame...be patient it does and will happen.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2009