How to start a scrapbook?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I recommend starting with one subject. Find all the pictures you have for that one subject, then go to a craftstore and buy what you need to make it. Stickers, paper, and other embellishments, and adhesive. If you start off with just one subject, it won't seem ovewhelming and you're more likely to finish it. You can buy kits that will complete anywhere from 4 to 10 pages. Those are good to get because all the items match and you don't have to guess or search through your stash or the store. After you get the hang of everything, it'll be easier to know what you'll actually use and what will just sit in your closet, never to be used.

You'll also need at least scissors. They also have paper trimmers that can cut a straight line up to 12 inches long, perfect for 12X12 paper. There are lots of gadgets for scrapbooking, but you probably won'treally need them

You can find all sorts of ideas online and in magazines for layouts.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 10:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• First you should pick out a theme. I made one of my two daughter fisrt years. Both of them from ages 1 to 2yrs. i did one page each for them every other page. Started as my first daughter one the first page, with pics of her first couple of weeks. then my second child on the next page the same thing ...first couple of weeks, and so on. I got all my supply's at Wal-mart. The books range from anywhere to 10-25 bucks. Then the stickers and pop-outs. I remember each and every picture of them, so under each picture i put a caption, like " Paige 1 week...my sleeping angel", i wish i could put a picture up for you to see. It was really fun to do. Just remember to take your time and put your bes into it. I always set up the page before i glued anything to see how it would look. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    heres a link to a video with more info.
    http://video.about.com/scrapbooking/First-Scrapbook-Page.htm
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• one bit here,
    start with your current pictures and stay current with the new pictures you take.
    when you have time, go back to the older photos and get them cataloged.
    if you start with the old photos and try to catch up to current, it will overwhelm you and you'll put it aside.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you have friend that scrap already, ask them for help. I have a couple of friends that only scrap when we do it as a group activity. They like to get ideas and help form the group. That way you can get opinions throughout the process.

Look at sites and magazines.  I used to have 4 different subscriptions and they would always make me want to run down stairs and get busy when they arrived full of great layouts and new ideas.Sraplift if you find something that fits. I'm not certain how everyone feels about this, but I feel honored when someone wants to use my layout as inspiration for theirs. I work at a scrapbook store, and we have a lot of customers that will come in with a printout of a layout that they are going to Scraplift.

Take a class at a craft or scrapbook store or convention. They are a lot of fun.

Stay simple at first and add in new techniques as you become more comfortable.
    tams920

Answer by tams920 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• This is important too.
    Try not to compare your work with others, especially those that have been doing it a long time. I have had friends who get discouraged when they look at my recent pages, until I bring out my very first scrapbook and they see where I started.(then they laugh their heads off). Their first pages are so much better then mine were.

It is a journey. You need to do and learn and build upon your skills. add on new techniques once you mastered the last, instead of trying to learn them all at once.

As long as your heart is in it and you do your best your pages will be amazing!

One last note, journal...I look back at my first few years and the thought of writting seemed like a waist of time and a bit too personal for my family to be reading. I thought I'd remember this. 1o years later I wish I had, those details that I would never forget, got jumbled with others and are not as clear as I thought .
    tams920

Answer by tams920 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I only do digital scrapbooks. They are really simple, and you can use the supplies over and over again! You can print at home, or print through a website! My daughters scrapbook is AMAZING! It doesn't cost much to buy the kits either. Maybe $3-$4 for each kit! Its a steal!!! Message me if you have any questions about it. :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• One helpful idea is to put together the pictures you want on one page at a time, lay them out and crop as you wish. Then pull together the stickers and paper you need for the page. Do this for 5 to 10 pages at a time. Then when you are ready to put it together you have everything you need to make a page and don't have to hunt around. Your scrapbook will be made much faster and it makes it easier to coordenate facing pages.
    I do this and can put together 20 pages a day.
    prissmom

Answer by prissmom at 9:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009