What did y'all do to get your infant to stay awake during the day?

I would love y'all's input on how to keep my 2 week old daughter up during the day so she'll sleep more at night.

Bruiser_Kane

Asked by Bruiser_Kane at 10:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i need some help with that too with my 8 week old son. the only thing i do do for him that keeps him awake for a while is give him a bath everyday / night. then after his bath i massage him with lotion and brush his hair...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You don't. Let the baby sleep. That's all newborns due is sleep, eat and use the bathroom. They should be sleeping 16-20 hours a day. It's kinda mean to not let your baby sleep. That's when they grow.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• err "do" not due
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-babies-sleep-so-much.htm

This is a good article that explains why babies sleep so much and why you shouldn't disturb their routine.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Don't.
    Getting her overtired by forcing her to stay awake when she wants to sleep will actually make it harder for her to fall asleep and stay asleep at night. It will also harm her health. New babies need 15 to 18 hours of sleep each day. She is not going to get all of that at night. Keep in mind that most of her growth occurs during sleep - not enough sleep means not enough growth. That applies to both physical growth and brain development.

Do NOT harm her health. Let her sleep when she is tried. Her sleep patterns for day and night will mature over the next year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My son had his days and nights mixed up... I used to use a cool wash cloth to wake him up or dip his feet in cold water.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 11:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I really wish you would not do this. It is totally incorrect not to mention cruel. At that age babies need to sleep alot and just cos you keep them up during the day does not mean they will sleep at night. Rather you will have an overtired baby which is even harder. Sleep is when they are forming neurological pathways in the brain... take the sleep away and you are harming their development IRREVERSIBLE. They simply do not get another chance for this fast growth.

Understand that newborns (until 3 months) divide sleep in 7 -8 equal periods. When up then need to eat, have a little stimulation and go back down. You cannot make a newborn sleep longer when they are this age. It is biologically impossible and when they are capable they will.

I really would incourage you to do some research on baby sleep so you are not on here in a couple months time complaining about a baby who won't sleep, is grumpy etc
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Sleeping through the night by medical definition is 5 hour stretch.

The only thing you can do is help to show him the difference between day and night so that when he does start sleeping longer it will be at night. So, days are light and chatty... Nights are quiet and dark. You may find that by doing this he wont stay up as long at night (only long enough to feed) because he is bored.

My DD is now 5 months and sleeps well at night but she still wakes at 4:30am for a feed and then at 7am for the day. I would never consider not feeding her at 4:30am just cos I needed more sleep. She is the baby and I am the Mom, the provider, so please provide a safe, happy and healthy environment for your baby.

NEVER DIP YOUR BABY'S FEET IN COLD WATER TO WAKE THEM UP. THAT IS BORDERLINE ABUSE. WOULD YOU BLOODY LIKE IT?
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• why not try sleeping when the baby sleeps? That is what I did. It worked for us until he worked things out for himself and started sleeping more at night.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 3:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2009