Is 7 considered old for a Golden Retiever?

lately she hasn't been walking as far as we usually do, she will sit down and refuse to budge. We usually walk 1-2 miles per day, with a lot of running in between. Could she be getting arthritis? She doesn't limp and doesn't flinch when you touch her. She normally will perk up again in a few minutes, but on a big walk last week. I had to go get the car and then she couldn't even get in by herself.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 10:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pets

• In my experience, the big dogs tend to "age" faster than the small dogs. Sounds like your girl might be feeling her age. Goldens are also prone to have hip dysplasia although that doesn't sound like what she has. I'd take her to a vet if you're concerned and back off a bit on the running. See if you can find a vitamin supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin for good joint health.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• As the PP said, older dogs have a shorter life span than smaller dogs. Also hip dysplasia was the first thing that I thought. A x-ray should be able to tell.
    I had a lab that at age 11, stoped walking. We refused to put her down, so our vet suggested an aspirin a day. It worked wonders, and she lived until age 22.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I'd get her checked out by a vet. See if he can check out her heart before and after excercise. Hip dysplaysia was the first things that I thought of, but then I saw you had said that she perks up after a few minutes. Could be that her heart rate was escalated. How is her breathing during the walks?
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 12:57 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Everything I've read says that goldens typically live 10-12 years, so I wouldn't think 7 is normally that old. I would get him into the vet. Mine is only 2 and a half, I'm ready for her to act a little older! I hope everything is ok with your pup.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't say 7 is old for a golden, but it is up there in years. I would contact your vet and have a check up done. Our golden lived until she was 15 years old. She did end up going blind by her older years. We had to have her put down at 15 b/c her hip went out and she could not move. Due to her age it was our only option. The other pups in the same liter seemed to all go within about 9 months of each other. Hopefully your dog has a lot more years with you.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• 7 is about middle age. HD has already been mentioned and I would have her checked out. There are suppliments you should be adding to her food regardless of whether she already has it at this point. Perhaps cut back on the length of your walks for now. Your vet will also be able to advise you on a pain medication you can give when/if she gets like this again.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have a 7 year old golden and the Vet said she is now considered a senior. She started having a hard time walking, so I started giving her Glucosamine. It did wonders!!!! At first I was buying the pills for dogs, but it was later pointed out to me that buying the pills for adults work just as well and are cheaper they just dont taste like liver. Try glucosamine it will work wonders!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• She's beginning to slow down. She's like a 50 year old person. But I'd take her to the vet so he can look her over.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 9:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Could be arthritis or hip dysplasia. You can give her an adult aspirin to help with the pain.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009