Has anyone ever been put on Trazodone for anxiety/insomnia while pregnant?

I have a bad anxiety problem, and for a while I have been able to control it fairly well, but its been getting worse, and causing me to be an insomniac. I'm also pregnant, and my dr suggested to put me on this but I am not sure. Has anyone ever been on it pregnant? or even not pregnant? Any input is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The dr gave it to me recently to help me quit smoking. He said he gives it to alot of pregnant women. It has helped me with my anxiety alot.
    CandyMama231

Answer by CandyMama231 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I also have a BAD anxiety problem, I am on Lexapro. I am ttc my 3rd and last child and my doctoer says there are ricks to the baby but I would just trust in your doc and your own instincks. my brother is on trazodone but i dont know who it is. I hope the best of lick to you. IF YOU EVER NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO, YOU CAN ADD ME AS A FRIEND AND WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER THROUGH THIS MESS IF YOU NEED A NEW FRIEND, I WILL BE HERE.

hope this helps
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 11:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I googled trazodone while pregnant and this is what I got. I have been on a lot of anxiety medications because I have depression and OCD really bad. Depression is a lot better, but OCD is still really bad. I think its because I can't take high doses of medicine while pregnant. Anyways, I think I was put on it while I was pregnant with my son, I think to help me sleep. I am not for sure though because I have taken a lot of different medicines because some don't want to work for me.

I googled it and I got this website. I didn't read through it, but I read the first few sentences and it seemed like it had what you were looking for.

Good luck!

http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/Trazodone.pdf
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 11:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I was going to suggest OTIS too- see the web address fallin4aSOLDIER gave above.
    PeaInMyPod

Answer by PeaInMyPod at 11:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• When I was first diagnosed with OCD and anxiety my doctor had me take trazodone to put me to sleep because I was only sleeping 2 hours a night. It did nothing for me and when I did go to sleep and wake up, I was drowsy as all get out. I couldnt hardly function. My brother is bi-polar and takes it to sleep and it knocks him on his butt about 30 mins after taking it and has no drowsy effect. I find that people respond differently to it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• i was on trazodone and then when i found out i was pregnant i stopped taking it cause i wanted to be as drug/med free as possible... my dr seemed almost glad that i had stopped it. I was also taking Soma and Effexor xr. i also quit those too. and my medical marijuana i quit. but im sure if you and your doc think the benefits outweigh the risks and something you need then you can consider it. are there any other things you can do to help lessen the anxiety (like meditation, or writing, etc...) and help you sleep??
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i wasn't pregnant when i was on trazodone...nor would i recommend it if you don't already know how your body will react to it. apparently i was a great candidate for it when i was having severe anxiety & sleep problems...took me less than a week to know that it was NOT for me! i couldn't get out of bed for over a week due to drowsiness, i ended up severely depressed, & the headaches i got after the first few times taking it were just horrid. i really hope that if you do decide to take it, that you have a better reaction to it than i did...but at the time my doctor said its one of those hit & miss type drugs, which to me would be a red flag to trying it while pregnant...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2009