Breastfeeding... Would like your advice

Hi ladies, I gave birth to my son a week ago today and have tried to commit to breastfeeding but I am having a hard time doing so. My nipples are traumatized ....and breastfeeding is very painful. I've tried pumping and have stored some milk sometimes when I feed the baby my nipples bleed because they are not healed. I am supplementing with formula but I feel awful that I can breast feed exclusively that I am considering stopping. The first latch is very painful and it gets better but my nipples are sore non stop. I am using cream to try to heal them. I am scared to stop for a few days to give them time to heal and my baby not wanting to nurse at all.. Any advice? I breast fed my oldest with no problems but couldn't with my youngest because of the same issue but he was almost 6 weeks premature and the doctor suggested just formula feeding because he wasn't latching on.

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a nipple shield works wonders...Its like a bottle nipple (kinda) that goes over your nipple and takes the pain from breastfeeding away. I used one for 3 weeks with my DD, I would put her to the boob til I couldnt handle it any more, and then would put that on. It was also great for letting my nipples heal. Hope that helps, they can be ordered online, or hospitals have them
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• damn, that sucks. i dont know but i hear you on that one. i breastfed my son for 2 or 3 weeks because i just couldnt take it anymore. my nipples were killin me, my boobs hurt, i was sick of pumping all the god damn time, i needed a friggen beer & a ciggerate already, and it was just too much. so whatever u do, dont feel guilty. i know alot of moms who wont even try it at all because theyre worried about how its gonna make there boobs look afterwards.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Have you seen a lactation consultant? This is the best thing to do when it comes to fixing latch. Also bottles make latch worse, so try to steer clear of them for now, if you need to give milk from a place besides your breast use a medicine dropper or syringe. Preemies have tiny mouths can can have times latching on but if this is a full term baby you should be able to work this out. Have you tried a nipple shield? It can save many BFing relationships when mom wants to give up.

Its up to you if you wanna keep going but make sure to so what it takes to not regret your decision later....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Call a lactation consultant and join a breastfeeding group on CM, seriously helped me A TON!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Until my son was 10 days old I didn't think we would be able to breastfeed at all. Everything was going wrong and the consultant from the La Leche League even told me to bottle feed him. I realized that breastfeeding wasn't going to define me as a mother. As soon as I stopped freaking out that he wouldn't latch, he latched. 2 years later he's still nursing.

The pump never hurt my nipples like he did so you could try pumping alot to get your supply up.  Then maybe you won't need to supplement with formula because you'll have breast milk.  Keep trying for as long as feel is right. A few weeks of crappiness could really end up paying off.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I second getting in touch with a LC, and using a nipple shield until you do. If you have a correct latch, your nipples shouldn't be bleeding. Have you tried different feeding positions?

Again, I think it's really important to get in touch with a LC. Bleeding nipples are NOT normal...maybe there is an unknown underlying cause such as a tongue tie that a LC could diagnose for you. Best of luck to you mama, you CAN do this!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree call Le Leche and get some help. When I was having problems with my son. I bought a thing I can't remember the name. But it was like a square bottle with tubes coming from it. I taped a tube to each nipple, and added formula in the bottle. That way he got my milk (i was having trouble w/supply) and formula at the same time. The way it worked it only supplemented your milk. This would probably give your nipples some rest and would be easier then an eyedropper.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Baby may not be latched on properly. BFing shouldn't be really painful when done properly. You may feel soreness after the feeding, but that'll go away soon when they get tougher. I wouldn't supplement with formula, keep pumping if you need to, but supplementing formula will only decrease your supply. Call LLL or you can call your hospital and ask that they send a LC out to your home. :) Goodluck momma! You can do this.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Nipple shield!! They sell a 2 pack at Babies R Us for less than $5.
    PeaInMyPod

Answer by PeaInMyPod at 12:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I hear you. I went through the same ordeal, and it's discouraging. The first three weeks or so were painful for me too, my nipples cracked and bled and it hurt like hell. Everyone told me too that it was a latching problem, but in my case I felt my baby was latching on ok because I could hear him swalloing, but it still hurt so it made me wonder. My mom told me that eventually the baby would heal me and he did, it just takes some time. I honestly just think that the fist time you breastfeed, or if it's been a long time since you did, your nipples are just not used to this and they're sensitive, Eventually, if you do get some help with the latching and get it down, it will get better, promise. Hang in there and try not to quit, some pain it's worth it for your baby's well being.
    pgaytan

Answer by pgaytan at 12:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009