What does a medical decoder do?

What exactly is their job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Regular duties include:

Checking medical charts for accuracy and completion
    Verifying signatures
    Verifying medical data in computers
    Clarifying information or diagnosis by communicating with healthcare providers
    Utilizing computer software to analyze data

i googled it, heres a link copy and paste if you want to read the whole thing.
    http://www.degreesource.com/articles/17/1/Medical-Coding-Job-Description/1.html
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Do you mean a medical coder? They also do medical billing in addition to what the poster above said.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• A medical coder specifically assigns a very specific code to medical services provided and the accompanying diagnoses. Not all coders do all of the things listed by the previous posters (I know - I am a coder...)

Normally, you would be coding from operative reports or other types of reports. There is a huge set of procedure codes and a whole different set of diagnosis codes. Insurance pay based on the codes billed. There are tons of rules involved and it's a very detail oriented type of job.

There is a test to become certified as a medical coder (a CPC - certified professional coder) and there are different options of courses you can take to prepare for the test. To my knowlege you don't have to take courses to take the test. I took a weekend course to learn some of the things that didn't pertain to the job I have so that I could pass the test, but for the most part I taught myself how to code.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• There are very few jobs available in this field. I know, I graduated in the top of my class and there is no coding jobs here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2009