Christians,what should I do about my young daughters intrest in witches?For mature,spiritually sound Christians please,

Can you believe a boy at our Church told her about a wizard internet game to play,I was shocked!Kids are being exposed to these things alot earlier,thanks to the internet.I strongly disagree that she should play the game and I don't let her but she has found a way a couple of times to play it anyways and really enjoys it.Even though I'm a strong Bible believing Christian,I don't want her to think that we Christians don't have fun but our fun has to edify our Lord.How can I say,we love the sinner but hate the sin without sounding like a prude?This question isn't ment to hurt anyone's feelings ,sorry if your a witch,please skip this question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally wouldn't let my dd play the game. My DH and I have dedicated our home to the Lord. We will not allow anything inside of the home that will be displeasing to the Lord. I personally think that games about witchcraft are not pleasing to Him, so I wouldn't let her play it.

I would however sit down and talk to her about it, listen to her reasons for being interested and share what we believe about witchcraft. I would tell her that if I caught her playing the game she would be in trouble.

We have plenty of fun in our house and we don't need stuff like that to do it.

This is just my opinion though, other people have their own opinions too. We have just dedicated this house and our children to the Lord. They can do what they want when they grow up, but while they are here, we will all serve the Lord.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think video games isn't the same thing as actual witch craft. There aren't any real spells, just pixels and binary code.

If it were my daughter, I would just make sure she knows the difference between actual witchcraft and a game.

Anyway, just as a parent, it's good to limit video game time anyway - regardless of what the game is.
    Anonymous

• I'd ask her what about the game/ witches interests her. Make it into a conversation. Really listen to where she is coming from, then explain your position. While it's true these things do not glorify the Lord, just hammering into her about the evil of witches/ the game she is playing may work to turn her away.

Also, ask about other interests (internet games?) and maybe together try to find a more appropriate game for her to enjoy.

Also pray about it. Certainly can't go wrong with prayer.
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends on how old she is. I know nothing about this game, but have you looked at it or played it? Or have you simply just said no because of what the game is about? Try it out, it couldn't be educational. Also, just because she's playing this game doesn't mean she's interested in witches or witchcraft. It could just mean that she likes the game. Talk to your daughter about it before you just go jumping to conclusions.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I am a Christian, but I also believe in finding a balance as far as raising kids. My kids have all played certain internet games that dealt with magic and "witches" and other such nonsense. The thing is... it is all imaginary and fictional. Even my 7 year old knows that. I know that I will be bashed because I let my kids do this, but that is fine. I am very comfortable with the way I raise my children. The read Harry Potter and play games with magic in them and my eldest daughter enjoys anime and manga. They are all active in the church and they love to go to religious education class on Sunday morning. One of the kids was actually sad that she couldn't go one day because she had the stomach flu. I feel that if I forbid those things it invites them to find a way to do it behind my back. 

(cont)

Anonymous

• (cont)

Of course I don't let them watch, read, or play anything that is violent or sexually explicit, but the magic and fantasy stuff is fine with me. As long as I explain that it is not real. And it NOT real. My best friend is wiccan and I know from her that all that stuff is in no way close to what she says is magic. Fantasy is fantasy and nothing more.

Anonymous

• buy her a harry potter game? LOL ok sorry I know that sounded smart aleck but really, I would let her know it is make believe, remind her(highlight for response pagans highlight at your own risk) The bible is very clear that this is evil and the work of the devil.  but the make believe games and movies I wouldn't worry about.

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It's a video game. And if it's one of the ones I'm thinking of, a much better choice than some of the stuff that's online.

And...the nature of children is that the more you forbid something, the more they want it and the LESS likely they are to follow what you want as they get older. So don't make a huge deal of it.

Talk with her about it, make sure she understands the difference between fantasy and reality. I mean, just because one of my obsessions as a kid was "Batman" doesn't mean I grew up thinking that socking folks in the jaw was the way to solve a problem! (Although I really really wanted Batgirl's red hair.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The thing even if it's a harmless fantasy game it still influences you and by letting her play it it's like I say it's o.k. for her to sin because that's what witches do[they aren't worshiping our lord]they have a goddess or they worship nature.I won't let her play it,it's just she's going to be influenced more from the world as time goes by and I have to teach her now so she understands why it's evil.And that's scary what some other person said one day she'll be on her own and she'll have to make these decisions for herself, and the devil knows he has to start tempting kids young so they won't know any better when they're older.
    Anonymous