• In the Spotlight:

Three year old son being very protective of mommy

My son is three years old. His father and I split up when he was 1 1/2. His father has a girlfriend and i have a fiance. Whenever my fiance and i sit by eachother, hold hands or kiss my son gets upset. I asked his father if he does this when him and his girlfriend hold hands or sit together or kiss and he told me no. Earlier today I went to the kitchen to get him some juice and he told my fiance "don't kiss my mommy".. Is this normal? What do I do? My fiance and I can't even sit by eachother. How can I get my son to accept this? Thank you in advance for any advice.

cashelle04

Asked by cashelle04 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its a stage. My boys do it and I am married to their dad. He is just trying to see how much control he has. Don't give in tell him that he can sit next to u if he wants but he is not going to make ur fiance go away. And discipline him when he disrespects ur fiancé also.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It is normal for kids to be jealous of the "new man" in your life. Try explaining to him that you'll still love him the same.
    Also, you get extra kudos for keeping an open line of communication with his birth father.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You can always explain mommy/son time, family time (3), and mommy/daddy time. He just doesn;t want to be left out. You could also set time aside for him and your finance to bond w/o mommy. That way it isn't mommy choosing between them. He would be important to both of you.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I agree - it's a stage. My daughter does that when my hubby and I hold hands, kiss, hug, ANYTHING.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My son does it too. I swear he has radar he can be in his room playing and the second I sit on bf's lap or lean over for a kiss he comes running out saying "my mommy" and then WILL NOT move further then 6 inches from me for like the next hour. Even if I have to pee he sits outside the door making sure bf doesn't try to get in. I often tell him I'm still his mommy, and its ok for bf and I to kiss. If were sitting on the couch I let him sit next to me, I'll hold my son's hand if i'm holding bf's or I'll kiss my son after kissing bf. That way he's never left out and is reassured no one is trying to take his mommy.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My 5 year old doesn't like my husband and I to kiss or hug unless she is in it. We cannot hug without her getting between us yelling family hug.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009