how much is the need for air conditioning.. in 105 degree weather. yet im very broke.

ive set the thermostat at 81 and i feel guilty . bc im broke and the bill will be high.. but my son is only two and seriously without some reasonable air.. we might get sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can always pay what you can afford, their not gonna shut off ur electric if you atleast make a payment...GL
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well first off do you live in Texas cuz that is where we are and I agree it is sooo hot but the bills are so high and it gets hard. But maybe try fans we have three and we set the air at 77-79 and I feel bad as well, but keep the blinds closed and keep it dark as you can do all the laundry in the early mornings or late at night it does help, there are places you can go that will help you with your bill maybe chaeck that out if you really need it. But the fan thing does work and good luck MaMa!!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thats is not totally true depending on which Electric Company your have!!! Be careful not to get shut off because of not paying the whole bill.
    Anonymous

• Does your electricity company have a bill assistance program for people making x-y income? It wouldn't hurt to call in and find out for future reference. We have that here... it can be helpful.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Air conditioning is not a need unless you are an elderly person. Children are much more able to tolerate heat than we, adults. We never had air when I was growing up. We used fans, kept the house closed up. You'd be surprised how much a difference this can make.
    Anonymous

• Where do you live? Contact your energy company and see if they have low income programs. Here in CA they do. One is a one time lump sum payment and one is a long term rate reduction program. Also, here, if you are making payments they won't shut you off. Also, take your son to a/c places, like the mall or the public pool, let him play in a cool bath maybe.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I just got a note w/my electric bill. Because of the stimulus, low income people can get weatherization for free from grants. The amount depends of family size with priority given to the elderly, disabled, and small children. Call your electic company and get the name of the company providing this service in your own.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• thank u for all the replies from the bottom of my heart.. i will talk to edison and mybe work something out.. my dh is getting home early so we are going to go swimming to cool down... hurraY...my son will love night swimming... at our apartment pool....thanks again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You can go to a library. Pack a lunch and hang out at a mall. Some communities have cooling centers that are open during the day.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• first off I know where your coming from...power bills are going up everywhere....only going to get worse thanks to Obama.......but you will have to pay your bill or they will cut your power off......I live in florida and we have been in triple digits for a couple of months now and they dont care......pay or be in the dark.....
    I run ceiling fans all the time it helps criculate the air and make it feel cooler , also cooldanas are great and make you feel cooler.....
    hope you can find some relief.....and the extra money for your bills.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2009