Why would parents object against their children knowing about Magic or Fantasy?

Just curious. I saw a post earlier about a mom who was "shocked" that her daughter heard about an internet game that has wizardry in it. The fear of wizardry and witchcraft has been a reason for genocide and massacres throughout the ages. Haven't we learned from our mistakes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• The people I have known who are not fond of witch craft and wizard or fantasy are often more conservative Christians. But I have friends that are both conservative and Christian and have no beef with Mr. Potter. I personally think that it is a personal choice. For those that don't like it and think there is a problem with it then of course they have the right to not want it in their homes. I am one who awaits my child to be the right age so we can role play a little bit of D&D. He's only two so I have about two more years and he can begin to play a little of it. My husband grew up on that stuff and attributes that to his large vocabulary, his great math abilities, and imagination. Everyone I knew in high school who played all went on to super colleges and are doing very well for themselves. Of course I am not saying that is the only reason they are doing well - but perhaps the fantasy world attracts smart people.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have a friend that i've known since I was 2 years old. Her mother was like this. For her, the reasons were religious. It was always odd, and seemed almost cruel that I couldn't watch Scooby Doo with my closest friend, but now that i'm grown I see that it was an important belief for them, and I respect it.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Religion isthe biggest reason, IMO there is nothing wrong with it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It's mainly Religious reasons. I have no problem with it. Games, books, movies, never thought anything bad about them. I have all the Harry Potter books, movies (that are out on dvd), and one of the games. It's all just good fun.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• it's a christian thing, don't sweat it

Answer by admckenzie at 12:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Because people are idiots. It's that simple.
    AnitaVersion2.0

Answer by AnitaVersion2.0 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• admckenzie....umm...it CAN be a Christian thing. This Christian here happens to LOVE harry potter, haha, and when I was married enjoyed a wonderful game of Magic the Gathering.
    OP to me there was a difference between enjoying movies and games with 'magic' or actually doing spells, etc. But not everyone thinks this way. They think that the 'fun' of magic is a 'gateway' to believing it.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 3:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2009