toddlers are supposed to use toothpaste w/o flouride, my sons doctor gave him vitamins with flouride. Can someone explain. I'm a bit confused. Thanks.

proudmomma777

Asked by proudmomma777 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would guess the amount is lower than in toothpaste and/or you don't have flouride in your water. Flouride is needed for strong teeth but too much can cause white spots on the teeth.

If you are concerned, call and ask about it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Good question. I thought flouride was a poison or something?
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Flouride is dangerous in certain amounts but is good for building strong teeth (hense why the Nursery brand water has added flouride but so low its fine for babies). I'm sure the vitamins have an amount that is fine for your son. It's just that regular toothpaste have a higher dose of flouride (and we dont swallow toothpaste) and the children's has none since most young children tend to swallow it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yeah I am not really sure either. I can tell you though my pedi tried to make me give him fluoride and i refused it. Asked if I could wait until he was over a year. The pediatrician said that was perfectly fine.
    icka

Answer by icka at 12:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my sons toothpaste has flouride in it...its a kids toothpaste, winnie the pooh is on the front. my son has very weak teeth, his baby teeth were chipping as they were coming in. i think flouride is good for the teeth. my son is 2 and has had 2 flouride treatments at the dentist so far, about to get his 3rd next month.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If you have well water that doesn't have any flouride, your dr may want to provide him with a supplement. City water has flouride, which is why most kids don't need the supplement.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• thanks girls, i appreciate the clarity. i feel better about giving him the vitamins now.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 2:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009