Did you give your baby cake for their 1st birthday?

My DD's bday isnt until October, but i was just thinking of the whole cake thing. I'll have a cake and candles and such since we'll have family and friends over, but i don't know if it should give her a tiny piece of cake.

Anyone have given their child cake on their 1st?

(This isn't a debate so no one get mean please.)

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All four of my kids got their own little cake on their first b-day that they got to smash and put their faces in lol then the bigger b-day cake for everyone else ofcourse.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yes I gave my DD cake, she had her own smash cake. I had the bakery use whipped frosting so it was greasy and a lot easier to clean up. I don't know if you are making a cake or buying one but I know most places will give a free small smash cake for babies 1st birthday if you buy a regular cake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• yup, she had one cake to make a mess of, and another cake for everyone else to eat. she didn't really eat much of it, more just threw it around
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 12:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• DS is having cake on his 1st birthday. He has already had cake (10 months old) as we were visitng family stateside and my mom wanted to do a birthday party for him so he got cake.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• sorry I meant to say it wasn't greasy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Of course ! They got to "play" with their cake and loved every moment of it!!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Don't give her a "tiny" piece of cake. Give her a great big whopping piece of cake and take pictures as she smears frosting everywhere.

Mine didn't quite know what to do with it. It was fun watching her take a timid first taste, a long pause, a second curious taste, then a handful.

Right now, she still looks like a baby to you. By her birthday, she'll be well on her way to being a toddler. She'll look a little like a baby and a little like a small child. Go ahead... treat her like a child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• go nuts. be prepared for nasty glycerine poop the next day though
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my son had a normal/standard smash cake but the bakery we used 4 our daughter did like a jumbo sized cupcake for her and it was freaking adorable.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:40 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yup, my son just had his birthday this week. He had a tiny little smash cake. He didn't really eat that much of it anyway. About as much as 3 adult sized bites.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2009