Does it make sense for my mom to pay our rent ,when she has a four bedroom house?

My mom is such a idiot when it comes to this situation.I know it's terrible that she has to pay our rent and I don't want her to.My dad just died and now she's all alone in this big old house,she's said she wants to move into a smaller one.The thing is I never got along with my dad,so that's why they paid for our rent,now that he's died,I would think we would get along better,my mom gets stressed easily anything that isn't put back into place or whatever so she's a pain to live with too but it makes more cents? to have us live there,what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• It's either she takes us in or well go into a shelter and I'm fine with that,I would want her to take my daughter for the week though so she wouldn't have to go there and I think she would take her in for that reason.But a shelter is only temporary and I know my mom feels for my daughter and me not for my husband who's a lazy ass maybe that's why we haven't been invited over.I understand my mom wants her privacy but we can help her out by keeping her company at night in that big old house and do chores for her,watering the lawn ,taking the trash out, all things she complains about.I never had a good relationship with my father or mother that's the reason really why she hasn't said come over yet but if she wants to keep seeing us and wants the best for us,she'll have to decide that her privacy and simplier lifestyle might be better if I'm there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yes it makes sense but people are set in their ways when they get older. She's looking at simplifying her life at her age and as a new widow. Talk to her about her paying your rent, mention you think it might be better financially if you moved in with her but with the understanding that you are still an adult with a family of your own and with the hopes you can learn to "get along". If she wants things in their place honor that. She deserves the comforts she has earned.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• She would still have her privacy,I'm not asking her to cook our meals or wash our clothes.There's a bedroom far away from hers and it would be perfect for us.I really believe she hasn't done it yet for two or three reasons.First,she's worried what her neighbors are going to think,she's friends with alot of them and everyone thinks she's wonderful.2nd she's worried I'm going to mess up her house,the kitchen,her refridgerator,I'm assuming3rd she's afraid it will break us up as friends,not that we really are at times but we can get along.Living with my mom and back into my childhood house would be depressing because I have some bad memories there and living with my mom could start more arguments if I'm not careful.If I lived with her,I wouldn't be around during the day only at night,to avoid contact with her at all costs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't want my children moving back in with me. I'd pay their rent to keep them gone too. Why would you think she'd want you invading her privacy and the sanctity of her home? Older ppl want nice places and adult kids bring in husbands that don't pick up after themselves and screaming kids and messes and if you and your husband get in a fight she has to hear it or even if you two have sex she might hear it. No, she's smart keeping you where you are. Good grief you should be ashamed of yourself for not paying your own rent. You obviously have been sucking their blood and wallet dry for a while now. Grow up. Wean yourself off mom's ...wallet. If your man can't provide then find one who can. You are just a sad person. No wonder she doesn't want you there. Someone might see you and know you are her's. She's probably ashamed of you and your brood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Why were your parents paying your rent in the first place? I think that she should not only stop paying your rent, and not move in with you, but that you need to pay your own way.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Remember if you are going to answer annonimously do it in a respectful way and I think the above quote has some issues herself and she's taking it out on me,good for you don't you feel better 12;56 a.m.?Iam asking for help not critisism but if that's the best you can do don't bother answering.My mother is embarrassed by me she always has been,she's better than me because she's more educated and has some more money that's it she's still a wretched sinner like the rest of us and she should show more respect to me by taking me in her home,she should trust me and treat me like an adult.My husband is out of work for many years and that's not her fault but she's the one that made such a big deal and paid for my daughters preschool and wanted a better life for her,we were going to live in a slummy part of town and if she doesn't take us in we will live in a homeless shelter soon,because she has said she can't afford our rent anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2009