Adoption ?

Here's my situation, we are currently living overseas and we can't get my son's visa approved because he is not biologically my husband's and I can't sponsor him because I'm a woman, stupid I know but that's the Middle East. My husband wants to adopt him but is something that can be done here or do we have to go back to the U.S to get it done. We should have done this years ago but my son gets survivor benefits and we didn't want to take that from him.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Adoption

• I think that you will have to come back to the states to do it Is your hubby in the military because you might want to check with them because I do belive that military bases are "america" like if you had a kid on a army base it will be american BUT I am not really sure on this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Honey, I have no idea. You need to consult someone that is experienced in adoption law, because that's a tricky situation. Good luck though!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Hubby's not in the military but we are going to the American Embassy this afternoon to see if they can help us and we just found out from the Ministry that they may approve my son's visa if we can prove his bio father is dead so now I am trying to get a copy of his death certificate.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• OP here - Well here's the update, there is nothing that can be done so we are sending our son back to the states to stay with our best friends for a year. We are going to save up as much money as we can and then hubby is quitting his job and we are going back to the states.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Sammiesmom, I am so sorry you are having to endure this injustice. You should never be forced to be seperated from your child. If I may...why have you decided to send your son back, instead of returning here with him, and waiting for your husband to return? Just curious, because your son is your primary responsibility, and needs his mother. He after-all has already lost his natural father, this cannot be good for your son. Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i hope everythings works out for you
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010