What is your 'system' for out with the old clothing and in with the new?

I know it may sound ridiculous, but when it comes to cleaning out my kids clothing (7 month girl, 2 year boy) I always hit a mental road block. Donate? Sell on Ebay? Is a friend having a baby soon? Maybe I should keep it just in case for painting/playing etc.? and on an on then I end up with piles of sorted clothing with no purpose.

Do you do a one time sweep from Summer to Fall? mix? etc.? I know it is crazy but maybe I'm npt the only one. Perhaps give me a simple list of your process and I'll let you know how it works!

AdrianMsMama

Asked by AdrianMsMama at 1:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every time he outgrows clothes I go through and box them all up (which at his age, almost 3, is about every 3 months or so!). If I know anyone off the top of my head who might need that size I ask them, but if not I just give them all away to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I don't like clutter, and don't see the point in hoarding things just because I might be able to use them years down the road when there are people who need them right now!
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I keep the clothes that meant something and get rid of the others. The ones I keep are usually for my future children. I box them up, write the sizes on them and put them away.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my 3 boys are 6.5, 4 and 2. We sort through all their clothes twice a year, when we change out their warm weather and cold weather clothes. If its too small for one of the older 2 it gets put up till the next one grows into it, unless its too stained or ratty, then it gets trashed. If its too small for the youngest it gets passed down to a cousins baby or sent to Salvation Army, as long as its still in good condition.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 1:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I pretty much sort clothes at the end of winter and at the end of summer, when I need to switch out the pants and the shorts. The clothes that just look bad I throw away. Ones I really, really like I keep because we are not done having kids. The ones that are still in good shape I hang up and get ready to sell at the big consignment sale in the area (they have one in the spring and one in the fall. The money I make then at the consignment sale then usually covers how much I spend there on more clothes for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I keep only the things that I think I want my grandchildren to have when they are born. Like this frog raincoat with frog boots and of course a frog umbrella. Too cute. Or the hand made sweaters and blankets by his grandmother. All of course are kept just for his children. The rest is easy: get rid of it any way I can. I have a coworker with a son that is exactly the right age for the hand-me-downs - from clothes, to shoes, to toys they take it all. And they are very appreciative. I don't bother to keep something around that isn't used anymore. It is either worthy of being saved or it needs to go to another child. I don't do consignment because I don't have the patience. I want it gone and I don't want to have to work at pricing, hangers, haggling...just gone. As far as new clothes my MIL buy his entire wardrobe and always has. We have to tell her NOT to keep buying when he has too much of something.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Summer and winter is when i change things out, but I also will throw stuff out when doing laundry if I see it is just stained beyond all hope, I have 3 to 4 outfits that are for playing only and 5-6 outfits that are thier nicer clothes, sometimes it's more then that but that is the minimum I keep. I bag or box up everything that is still in good condition and keep my hands on those. I have to admit I am a bit of pack rat about my kids clothes but that's because I was not done having kids, my younger ones (7,5,2) wore clothes that belonged to my older 4 (18.17,16,15) and even know we box up the really nice stuff of my older kids to give to the younger kids when they reach that size.

I actually just started giving away a lot of the boy baby clothes I had cause we were done and...surprise, Thankfully this one is a girl cause I kept most of my girl stuff..nobody was having a girl.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• As my son outgrows them, I put in a rummage sale box or I give away to friends and family that I know that can use them. Seeing my son is 13 and outgrowing clothes before they wear, I only buy 2 pair of pants or shorts at a time so the clothes he does outgrow is pretty limited and I just give to my friends son every couple of weeks/months. My son just grew 2 inches in less than a month and outgrew the clothes that I just bought.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i toss what my 3 cant wear or wont wear and then when i get a bag full i go to a convenience store in town and when i see someone i think may need them i hand them over...i would donate and i used to donate to this place a few towns away that is supposed to sell for rediculously low prices for low income families but then i went in there to buy and relized that they sell for insanely high prices for used clothes...like 6 dollars for 1 used onesie and 20 dollars for a pair of 4t jeans not even name brand...
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009