Do kids still have pen pals?

My daughter has been bugging me for months (if not years) about getting a pen pal. My question is - do kids still do this and if so where can we find someone to become her pen pal?Thanks for your help! :o)

Ceciliah9

Asked by Ceciliah9 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Im sure you can find websites for that. I had a blast doing that when i was younger! I hope when my dd gets older, they do something like that.

If you cant find any websites, ask your daughters school if they know of any that are for kids or if they know a program that does it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i did that in grade school..i loooved it as well..i miss that!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I had a pen pal that I met in camp.. my mother wouldn't let me have anyone I didn't know because it can be dangerous.. I would check with your schools, they normally have connections for things like this, so you don't have to worry about the weirdos out there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I agree, schools are the best way to connect with other students from other countries.

I did this many years ago, we exchanged money too, it was pretty cool to get money from Turkey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If you are interested, I have a ten year old daughter who would love love love a penpal...we are in ontario, canada, would that intrigue your daughter? My daughter's name is Violet....she's heading into grade 5 in September. If you are interested, send me a private message and I'll send you our mailing address, ....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Isn't it sad that there aren't too many pen pals anymore? I used to love having pen pals as a kid!
    My youngest daughter used to write to two of her friends when we moved from Maine to Virginia but they wouldn't write her back. I was really hoping they would keep the friendship going on a pen pal basis since they all knew each other for 9 years, but writing letters just isn't important to some people and kids anymore.
    I hope your daughter finds a good pen pal! There must be a website out there where she can be linked up with one or two. Best wishes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Hi Ceci, My daughter is now 8 years old had just discovered that writing letters and putting them in the mail is the funnest thing ever ( her exact words ). You can meet her on my profile, she is always writing and stuffing envelops. Let me know if you are interested in setting something up.

florecita35

Answer by florecita35 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My daughter had a pen pal in 4th grade, she wrote her a few times but the pen pal never responded. I think she would like to do that again. Megan is going to be 12 in October.
    momoftwomandm

Answer by momoftwomandm at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thank you all for all of your responses! I have tried talking to the school regarding pen pals, but I've been told that it's no longer done because of student safety and because teachers already have to much to deal with. I haven't searched it on the internet yet, but I will, hopefully I'll find something. I really want my DD to do this because I also enjoyed having a pen pal when I was a kid and also because I want her to learn the importance of writing and communicating "the old fashion way". A special thank you, to you ladies who have offered your DD's friendship to mine! My DD can't wait to start writing and sharring special moments with your DD! She's sooooooooo excited .... and so am I!!!!

((HUGS))

Cecy
    Ceciliah9

Answer by Ceciliah9 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• * Ceciliah9

How old is your daughter. My daughter is 7yrs old and would love a pen pal. And we live in Pennsylvania..Email/msg me for more info if interested.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009