What kind of activities would you like to see your local FIRE DEPT. involved in?

I am looking for ways to better our fire dept. I want to know what the mama's would like to see from your local fire departments. What kinds of activities, learning exercises etc would you like yourself & children to engage in? What do you think your kids would be interested in? What would keep their attention. I appreciate any ideas you have. Or share what your local F.D. does now. Thanks ahead of time for you answers!!! :)

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 1:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I vaguely remember a small town we used to live in when we only had one child (she's 20 years old now) and the fire dept had some sort of mini walk-a-thon to raise money for something - perhaps the children's hospital? Anyhow, my daughter was still in her stroller so when we paid the fee her 'walking' id number (8 x 10 size) was attached to the stroller. At the end, she got a t-shirt, a little teddy bear, and a reward sticker. I kept them all in her baby book.

I know that small towns like to do a Fire Prevention Awareness week with the town/county and the schools. They bring the trucks to the schools so the kids can climb on them, play with the sirens, get their pictures taken by the parents who come to the school, get taught safety tips (it was done yearly so it sunk in), and they got plastic red fireman hats. The kids loved it! Then the fire dept would do a parade through the town and throw candy to the kids. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Our fire company isn't involved in a whole lot anymore (budget reasons)..

but we do an annual Halloween Party.. have a few games, a costume party for the kids (by age, and they give out a gift basket with candy, and gift cards), some cider and donuts and coffee for the moms and dads, lol.

They have a club in our firehall that does game nights.. where they do raffles for bottles of liquor, and have a few drinking games set up (adults only of course).. about twice a year..

Memorial Day, they have the parades, and set up a booth to with different equipment the kids can try on and play with..

Sometimes they go to the schools to teach fire safety

The 4th of July, they have another parade, and throw out candy to the kids..

That's about it.. most of the other activities are combined with other organizations and are more adult friendly than kid friendly
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Although my DD is stocked full of fire fighter toys because her daddies a fireman..
    xxhazeldovexx

• lol.. DD's dad is also a volunteer EMT.. he is in two different fire halls.. one part time paid, the other volunteer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009