What kind of activities would you like to see your local FIRE DEPT. involved in? (piog)

I am looking for ways to better our fire dept. I want to know what the mama's would like to see from your local fire departments. What kinds of activities, learning exercises etc would you like yourself & children to engage in? What do you think your kids would be interested in? What would keep their attention. I appreciate any ideas you have. Or share what your local F.D. does now. Thanks ahead of time for you answers!!! :)

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 1:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• My hubby's a volunteer firefighter. I know that they do go into elementary schools and do some education about fire safety and the stop, drop & roll exercises. They hand out coloring books about fire safety, Jr firefighter "badges", stickers & pencils. The kids are also brought out to the parking lot to see, touch and sit in one of the trucks.

I would like to see our local fire dept. involved in more community activities. Currently they participate in the Independence Day parade and other small parades in the area, but I'd like to see them sponsor more events. They used to host a Halloween party at the local school with lots of games and activities, a spookhouse and bags, I mean BAGS, of candy. I'd love to see that happen again because it kept a lot of kids and traffic off the streets. We also have a Street Fair in August and the FD used to host a corn roast during that but no longer. It was great for the community.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• In General- What I would like from any fire department is quick response time and to put out a fire and rescue people.

For children- Some type of visit to schools/daycares/etc. One big thing i think is important is to show children that fire fighters are people under their masks and big clothing (im thinking little kids here)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 4:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Our fire departments go to daycares and elementary schools and are in full equipment so the kids learn to hear what the firefighters sound like with masks on. (Kind of like Darth Vader). They also do the Stop Drop and Roll, fire safety house (a traveling "house" where kids go in as a group, it fills with smoke and the kids learn how to exit safely.), they are in parades, have a fire starter program (teaches kids that like to start fires, why they shouldn't). They go around low income neighborhoods once or twice a year to hand out smoke detectors and batteries and tell how important they are. They provide CPR and First Aid programs too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009