My son has severe food allergies...Need some advice please.

My 3 year old son has severe food allergies. Here lately he gets up at night & has been getting into the fridge? He is well fed I promise, lol. I'm afraid I may not hear him or not get to him in time. I've put locks on everything...but his 5 year old sister knows how to get them unlocked. She loves to "assist" in his "missions" lol. That or every now & again she will "feel bad for him" & actually get him something. I have had many talks with her, etc etc. But she's still too young to truly understand why. I explain to the both of them daily why its important. They know it will make him very sick. But they don't get the whole " he could die from it" concept. What would you ladies suggest? Any other mom's with a similar problem? He has so many allergies, it's impossible to keep all things he's allergic to out of the house. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts & advice! :)

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 2:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would place a plate with allowed snacks in the fridge for him with the clear direction to his sister and him that only the items on that plate may be eaten during the night-time forays. As a plus, giving them your permission to raid the fridge may take some of the "fun" out of it because they're not doing anything sneaky or against the rules any more. Any other foods that are hazardous to his health, I would mark with a symbol (like Mr. Yuk stickers or the anti-sign) to clearly mark those foods which he may not eat, and then put those items in inconvenient locations in the fridge, preferably out of sight.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Put a toddler proof doorknob cover over his doorknob. That's what I do with my 3 year old so she doesn't roam the house out night.

In our house, I'm the one with many food allergies. I have gotten very used to the way I have to eat. Until your kids get old enough to understand the importance of avoiding his allergies, couldn't you just not put those allergic foods in the house? What is he allergic too? I might have suggestions as to foods to keep in the house and how to avoid the allergic foods all together.

I'm allergic to soy, oat, all beans (even green beans), pork, apples, bananas, and fish. My daughter is allergic to oranges and melon. My son is too young to test, but he seems to be allergic to oat, and now I'm thinking dairy too. I've just learned a new way to eat and grocery shop to take care of us all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:21 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• A 5 yr old is old enough to understand what can and will happen to her brother if he eats foods that he is allergic to. My friends son is allergic to all nuts, dairy and soy. When he was 3 or4, he told me what he was allowed to eat and he would not touch anything that he knew he wasn't supposed to eat. He even knew to ask what was in foods he hadn't eaten yet. Kids are a lot smarter than some people give them credit for. You just have to keep teaching your kids what he can and cannot eat. Put a sign on foods he can't eat so he knows and his sister knows. Keep reminding sister that her brother can die and never come back if she gives him something he is allergic to. Also, depending on what he is allergic to, STOP buying the foods or keep out of reach.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009