A couple questions about sonograms?

Is it ever medically necessary to get a 3D sonogram? JW if my insurance would pay for it.
Are the 3D ones worth it?
How many sonograms did you get during your pregnancy(s)?
How far along were you when you got them?
Did you see them yawn/suck their thumbs? If so, when?

Thanks!!!

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 2:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes there are times when it is medically necessary. I've had 5 c-sections and my last one I had 3D ultrasounds every other week throughout my pregnancy because they were worried my uterus was too thin and would rupture.

The 3D ones are great though. I went to a place with my third child for a 3d ultrasound just for the fun of it. They video taped it and gave us pictures. (my insurance did NOT pay for this one) and yes we could see her sucking her thumb and hiccup.. no yawns though.

Normally people only have one ultrasound between 16-20 weeks.. this is for the average, healthy pregnancy.

It sounds to me like you're hoping for an insurance paid 3d sonogram... I can't guarantee the 3d but I've known several people who have gotten that extra ultrasound by telling thier dr. that they were spotting and concerned.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• not unless ur doctor is worried if not then ur insurance probably wont cover it.

But I did a nuchal translucency test instead of Amniocentesis and u get to get a 3D/4D at that visit and most insurances will cover it
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• u are probably talking about 4D...and insurance doesnt pay for them
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 2:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I had at least 4 ultrasounds with both of my pregnancies. I had 2 3d/4d with each. I went in at 16 weeks to with both to find out the sex, b/c I couldn't wait for my 20 week US & again at about 32 weeks. I saw my son yawn, wink, pick his nose, and even give me the finger. LOL! I think it's worth it, if you have the money to spend. I also got a bear with my daughter's hearbeat.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• AWW! How do I find someone who does that with the bear!???
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2009