Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much Should You Tithe?

Is there a set percentage that pleases God most?

Should you tithe a great amount and hope that God will make up for the money you've given him by supplying your needs or should you pay your debtors and then tithe with what's left to make sure there is enough (hoping God is pleased with us being responsible)?

What do you do when you and your husband disagree with how much you should tithe?

What would you say to a SAHM who feels she should be tithing more but has a husband who disagree's with her convictions and views tithing larger amounts as unfair as he has to work overtime to make up for it while she stays at home?

I view tithing as an act of faith. My husband views tithing as an act of charity. We never had this issue until I needed to leave my job to take care of my son.

:-(

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I was under the impression that tithing is giving 10% of your money to the church.

    I will not even try to lie to you and say that is what I give. We are struggling financially and do not give nearly enough. The idea is that you trust God with your finances and he provides for you. It is an act of faith. Maybe you should talk to your pastor, together?
    toriandgrace

    Answer by toriandgrace at 2:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • We give $20 a week, but if we have some extra money coming in, then we give more. I am a SAHM. My Husband doesn't mind donating money at all, b/c he knows that we will get it back (by being blessed someway). We always thank God when we get his check and ask him to stretch it out as much as possible.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Malachi 3:10- Bring all the tenth parts into the storehouse, that there may come to be food in my house; and test me out, please, in this respect,” Jehovah of armies has said, “whether I shall not open to YOU people the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon YOU a blessing until there is no more want.

    Luke 6:38- Practice giving, and people will give to YOU. They will pour into YOUR laps a fine measure, pressed down, shaken together and overflowing. For with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU in return.”

    2 Corinthians 8:12- For if the readiness is there first, it is especially acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what a person does not have

    2 Corinthians 9:7- Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver
    hinson7169

    Answer by hinson7169 at 3:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • I don't believe in tithing so my husband and I have had the same argument. If you are going to give your money away only give away a small amount (maybe a few dollars) each week so it doesn't hurt your family. Tithing isn't going to make you a better person in God's eyes and your family's needs should come first.
    sammiesmom2000

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • We give 10% of our income and we pay it before we pay everything else. We are broke and we still do it. It is an act of faith, that if you follow His commandment you will be provided for.
    kemclaughlin

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Give what you can afford to with a cheerful heart. In the bible account of the elderly woman who dropped to small two small coins of little value into the temple box, she gave from her heart what she could which meant more to Jehovah than those Pharisees who dropped out of their surplus for those who looked on could think highly of them. In other words do whatever you can with a pure heart and not to look big in the eyes of others.

    Give what you can and when you can give more do so but do everything not begrudgingly and not because someone else has told you a specific amount to give.
    Ladybugkisses76

    Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Tithe means 10%. God is the owner of EVERYTHING and gives us the other 90% to live on. If that means that I can not get a pizza once in a while so the church lights can stay on or a missionary over seas gets support, then so be it. God will supply ALL of our needs. Scripture never says that God will provide All of our WANTS.

    God also said to TRY him on this. He will prove Himself faithful to you if you give Him the chance.

    $20 for a $200 income. Maybe you can do more. That would be an offering. 10% is not that much compared to all He has done for me.

    And if you look back over your life, He has done plenty for you too.
    Necie11

    Answer by Necie11 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN