I need help fast! How do I kill maggots my garbage can outside?

I've googled this and the most popular answer is to pour gasoline in the cans and close the lids. But will that harm the plastic cans?

mykidsmommy

Asked by mykidsmommy at 2:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Poor a bottle of bleach in it. But beware of the fumes it'll make you dizzy. Good luck
    MamiSanford

Answer by MamiSanford at 2:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• bleach!
    Wow2boyz

Answer by Wow2boyz at 2:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• We have the same problem and we have bleached them and my husband has washed them inside out....we still get them back... I am not sure what else to do...gas is too expensive to do that with! I think we are going to get new garbage cans!
    christinas3grls

Answer by christinas3grls at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Instead of gasoline, try rubbing alcohol in tightly closed cans. Or cover the maggot colonies in salt (like slugs).
    Once the cans are pest free, wash in hot water and rinse with vinegar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I had the problem before but I left the bleach in there for just over a day. And I mean the whole huge bottle of bleach that you buy at walmart. With about a gallon of boiling hot water. It was so gross when we dumped it out....EEEEWWWW. But it worked and then you just clean it again after you dump it out. That's how I did it. And they do come back and you just do it over again I guess. I put my trash in a dumpster now so I never had to do it more than twice.
    MamiSanford

Answer by MamiSanford at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Oh I hate that bleach was my answer to but pour in and walk away!!
    donnaw2kids

Answer by donnaw2kids at 3:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Do I pour the bleach or rubbing alcohol in there with garbage bags? Or do I need to wait till after my trash is picked up?
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 4:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• HONEY THAT'S WHAT HUSBANDS ARE FOR.....LMAO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• First take and wash your trash can with bleach right after the trash has been picked up by your local collection company. Magets are larvi from flies. The flies land on the spoild food ( they only live off rotting flesh or garbage) lay their eggs and go. The eggs hatch into Magets and the process starts all over again. The best way to get rid of them is to make sure your garbage can has a tight fitting lid and keep it shut at all times. If the flies can't get into the rotten food to aly eggs then you'll get rid of the maget infestation. I hope it helps you.
    PurpleJewelz

Answer by PurpleJewelz at 4:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2008

• What ever you do, make sure that if you bleach the can ( which works for more than just maggots...dogs, cats, possoms..etc.. ) you must have the bleach out of the can before you put it out for the garbage man. After you ruin a set or two of his clothing he probably won't like you any more. And if you think about it, a garbage man is not someone I want to make mad at me. Maybe try a color-safe bleach or a different solution.
    Racer06

Answer by Racer06 at 4:18 PM on May. 19, 2010