How much do/have you spend/spent on your child's birthday party?

We spent about $500-$600 last year. (his 1st birthday party) I think we're going to end up spending more this year. Just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• For our daughter's first birthday, we invited our immediate family and a few friends who love her over for lunch; we made pizzas and carrot cake.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• wow..i never had a bday party for her until she was 5..but thats only because i have no friends, and had absolutely noone i coulda invited..but this past year i had one for her, she invited all her preschool friends, about 17 outta the 22 showed up, and with the rental of the place, decorations and food i t was about $250..she had a blast!!!!!!! it was 3 months ago and shes still talkin about it!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Honestly I think anything over $200 bucks is excess unless it includes a gift like a swing set. Simple is best because the toys and things kids want when their older is much more expensive. Kids don't need a huge party that's expensive....just some friends, family, a few presents and fun activities that don't make you bankrupt.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have never spent over $300 for a party and that includes my sons gift, food, and goody bags for the kids. This year, I think I spent about $150 and it was the nicest birthday ever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I spent for $200-300 on 1st and 2nd b-day but on her 3rd I spent close to $600.00. They are only little once and if you have the money, then why not?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• On the first birthday I would say about two to theree hundred. And that was for a small party. I learned my lesson. Decorations are really expensive and we went with a theme of course. So now I know better. Second birthday we spent nothing. We went to the beach and had the grandparents there and an uncle. I'm dreading the third birthday. He asked for a "big" party. I am having it for free at the fire station, so I will have to have a cake, drinks, and some fruit for the adults. Party favor, pinata, and a few games. I refuse to spend a lot. I want it short, sweet, and cheap. But not to look cheap. He's three....not turning 18. No reason to go all out. We are inviting his class because he has gone to their parties.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We spent $100 and that was the party location, food, drinks, decor, and gifts!!! Looking at the other posts I am very proud of myself!!!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• For my DD's first birthday we spent about $400, and this year we have spent alot more (so far her bday isnt til october, but we have paid for the cake and decorations already). Her cake was $200 it will be a 3d pumpkin, and the decorations were about $300. We still need the food, favors, to rent the space, and of course presents lol. I like big parties...that doesnt make me a better mom. It just means I like to have fun and for my DD to have fun also.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Why is it about a dollar amount? Does that make a better parent?

I probably spent $150-200 including gifts, food and decorations. But I made the cake myself. I made the invitations too. They were adorable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• $200-$300 on her first birthday.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009