How to choose a Bible?

So i went to go buy a Bible yesturday. Silly me, i thought i was going to be able to just walk in grab a Bible and make my purchase after taking a quick stroll through the store. There were so many different kinds. This is going to be the first Bible I will have to read (Ive alwasy believed in God but just have never persued religion in anyway). There was New King James Version, and English version andothers specifically ment for women, men, teens, Bible study...i cant even remember how many other kinds there were.

So what Bible do I buy? What is a good first Bible?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up with KJV and that's what I mostly read. However, if you're not used to it, the language can be a little confusing and get you bogged down. NIV is pretty good. Or NKJV. It's nice to have a Bible with a little margin so if you want to write little notes you can. If you can afford it, choose a Bible that has a leather cover and is well-bound. The bookstore owner can help you with that. Otherwise it might fall apart after a few years. Good luck, and God bless!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'd get a KJV first, or a NKJV. I'd purchase a Bible dictionary to go along with it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would get a King James and only a King James. I also recommend getting a Strong's Concordance to go with it. Many other Bible versions are corrupt.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I like a Bible that has a lot of footnotes explaining what the verses are referring to or explaining words that mean something other than what they mean now.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• got to biblegateway.com, pick a random passage from the bible and view it. Change the "translation" using the scroll bar and find one that suits you. Once you have picked a translation that speaks to you go to the store and find it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I just started reading the bible and I purchased a New Living Translation. The translation is so much easier for me to read and makes more sense to. Good luck on your life long journey. God Bless~*
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Bibles range from formal/equivalent to dynamic translations. It's a spectrum. Formal translationsstick to the original as much as possible even keeping some of the same word order. Good for serious bible study, but it can be hard to read. KJV, NKJV and NAS are this type.

More dynamic translations (like the NAB, NIV, NJB) are easier to read but you give up some percision and subtle cues of literal translations. The Revised Standard Edition (RSV) is pretty much right in the middle. Some translations are so dynamic they're called 'paraphrase' (Living Bible). I think a balance is important. For a first-time something in the middle, toward the dynamic end may be good.

My recommendation would be the New Jersusalem Bible (NJB) or the New American Bible (NAB) or maybe the Good News Bible. As a Catholic I use the Catholic editions (which include books in the OT removed from Protestant Bibles. Good luck.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• O.K. first concept, there are translations and paraphrases. In a translation the group that is putting out the new version goes to the original languages (greek and hebrew if I'm thinking right) then translate into English. Those are more accurate to the original meaning. Some are King James, New International version, New American Standard. I think the easiest reading of those is NIV. Next you have paraphrases, these are produced by going to an existing translation, usually King James, and changing the wording to more modern language. These generally aren't as accurate. There are many of these, New King James, New Living translation, The Good News Bible, etc. I recommend NIV for most adults. It is written at about a 9th grade reading level. You don't have to deal with the "thee's and thou's" of King James.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have many different translations but the one I love studying from most is the Life Application Study Bible in the New Living Translation. This particular Bible gives you an easy to understand translation and study notes that really explain the verses. With that said, I enjoy comparing it to other translations as well so if I were you I'd get a couple versions.
    This is taken from my Bible (Life Application Study Bible, NLT):
    "The resulting translation is easy to read and understand, while also accurately communicating the meaning and content of the original biblical texts. The NLT is a general- purpose text especially good for study, devotional reading, and reading aloud in worship service."
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009