How many stay-at-home-dads do you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My bro on-law. He had two kids, my sister had one then they had one together. He was a mortgage broker, she was a nurse manager. After awhile, with 4 kids, it was better for one parent to stay home rather than pay all that day care. My sister made more $$

Now that the kids are a little older, my bro in-law he went back to work but was laid off..Again, my sis is in corporate at a nursing home so they are OK. and he is a great SAHD!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know of one and it wasn't his choice. Due to the wonderful economy he was laid off but his wife wasn't. The two of them decided that it would be wise for them to save some extra doe while she worked for him to stay home with their son instead of looking for work right now; at least until he can be put into an all day Pre-K. That's still 1 1/2 years away.

They're doing fine tho - his wife is a high profile lawyer and raking in the muh-lah. If anything I'm jealous! hahaha
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know one too. He quit his job because he worked in a tire shop and she is a mortgage broker. She was making over $100k a year and they began having kids and I suppose she didnt want them in daycare so since she made all the money, he quit his job. Now they have 4 kids and he does the laundry, the cooking, takes the kids to school, ect. The;y live in a beautiful home with a pool. They do quite well and her kids go to private school. My husband would totally do that if we had to. Granted its not conventional, but the point is to have at least one parent at home with the kids, and money coming in. So however you have to make it work, then do it. Theres no rules about how to do it. I think its better to have dad at home than have kids in daycare. I despise daycare.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know 3.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Three!

One is the husband of my friend an OB/GYN surgeon;
    the second one is the husband of another friend of mine who is a lawyer; and
    the third is one of my husbands friends who's wife is a politician--Republican, of course! LOL

Oh, and NONE of these men are "gold diggers" they all HAD their careers, while their wives were in school or establishing their careers and once their wives' careers took off, they happily agreed to become SAHDs!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:40 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know several since the lost their jobs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• None.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Just one...he's a SAH, WAH dad...two kids, 5 and 3.
    His mom paid for his (ex) wife to go to nursing school...as soon as she got her degree, she left her family and went off with another guy...hasn't seen her kids for 2 years...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My BIL is a stay at home dad.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Most of the dad's I know are laid off so pretty much all of them are. My husband has been off and on over the years depending on what was going on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009