What "womanly" terms offend you?

I remember when I was in boot camp they called us ladies and then apologized because it was an offensive term. I never took offense to the term "ladies" and didn't understand why my petty officers wouldn't call us that. Also, I live in NY but was raised in the south and I say ma'am, or when talking to a woman older than me who insists I call her by her first name, I put a miss./ms./mrs. in front of it, out of respect for my elders. Someone told me the other day they really don't like when I do that. I'm just trying to be respectful!! Does anyone have a term for women that bothers them?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:58 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The ones that come to mind are:

Broad
    Skirts
    Girly
    Blondie

Because in context they are often used in a demeaning manner.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'm with you about Ma'am and Miss, I do this all the time, too. And ladies- I don't see anything wrong with this, either. A friend I have in another country actually considers "ladies" as respectful. If you say "women" it isn't as respectful. None of the terms really bothers me, except referring to a woman as one of the female parts.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i think to be called a whore or slut is more offensive than lady or mrs.
    you are like me. i am from alabama and i say yes ma'am to everyone weither they are offended by it i don't know but i was raised with morals and respect for others like yourself.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• see you next tuesday
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am an army wife and it bothers me when they call me Mrs. (our Last Name) or Ma'am. I am not either. Ma'am to me is someone who is, well, proper or in a position of authority, and Mrs. (our Last Name) is my mother in law.
    mom4aaaa

Answer by mom4aaaa at 9:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'm 32 and there's this guy on my job that calls me ma'am and he's only a few years younger than I, if that. I realized he was calling me that out of what he deemed respect but it made me feel old and widowed for some reason so I told him just call me by my fist name. He said okay and every once and a while he'll slip but I know it's outta habit so I don't bring it up.

However, I have to agree with Rose, I wouldn't want to be called a whore, slut or a cunt. There are worse things in life to be called than a lady and most people can't pronounce my 17 letter last name!

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I call people ma'am and sir all the time. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to be offended. They are terms of respect and if you don't think you deserve that respect, that's not my problem. When I worked in a grocery store, I had customers who would actually say to me, "Don't call me sir, I work for a living." What does that have to do with anything?
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I hate being called Mrs.Boren..My name is RYAN! lol. So call me that PLEASE..Ma'am is ok even miss doesnt bother me.but I CANT stand my last name lol.Love the man and family with it..ust not the name...

My BBF is going to be getting married in September..I feel SOOOOOO bad for her. Her last name will be Puzon..PUUUUZON! :( She will liked to be called by her 1st name also lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I live in Alabama, born and raised. I say "yes ma'am, and yes sir" all of the time. I have never been told by anyone that they didn't like it. I know some women think ma'am makes them sound old, but I am not trying to make someone feel old I am just being respectful. I sometimes say it to women younger than me without thinking; like I will be at a store and the cashier will ask me something and I will say "yes Ma'am" out of habit. I am raising my daughter to say it too. Because I HATE when I see some kid on TV talking to Oprah or some other adult and they answer questions with "yeah". My mama would have whooped my butt. Now "womanly" terms I don't like. I don't like chick, because I am not a baby chicken. I really don't like slut and whore especially when men get called studs for the same thing. I don't like c*nt. I don't mind lady or ladies at all.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Oh, I get that calling someone Ma'am or Sir is respectful, I get that and I was raised to call an much older woman or man that as well. However when someone is the same age or around the same age as I am I would prefer if that person called me by my first name. If I'm asking my child or speaking to another child then YES I would expect to be addressed properly, either with a yes ma'am (my children) or a yes Mrs. _________ or ma'ma (those who are not my children).

I'm old school - my sister who is next to me is 13 yrs older than me with my other two being 16 and 17 yrs older than me but if we happen to be riding in the same car for whatever reason I allow my older sister's to take the front passenger seat unless we're riding in my husband's car. If there are two seats and several people standing I offer my seat to whom ever is considerably older than myself - however, if we're around the same age that's another story
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2009