Two children 2yo & 4yo. MIL offers to take care of them while you get back to finish college and get a job. DH is Ok with any decision. Would you continue being SAHM or take the opportunity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do it!
    Aside from the obvious: boosting your income potential, it's also good for moms to do something constructive and "for you" to keep your sanity and keep those brain cells building. ;) It's also a great for your kids to see and hear about you going to school and that you value education. They'll pick up on that from you even at this young age.
    Good Luck!
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 1:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• YES! at least get a college degree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think it depends on how you feel about you MIL, personally, I need to see how my MIL is with the baby. She is a little dramatic and would take things into her own hands. She tried to get me to name her partial guardian when we found out I was pregnant so the baby could go under he health insurance. No. No one gets to make medical decisions for my baby but me. I want to raise my own child, you had your son. I am taking off the fall semester, but when spring comes around I'm going to start taking classes again (this time, night school) and finish up with my degree. My MIL and sister will be watching my little one though I'm hoping my sister will be able to take him/her more because I don't know what that woman would do to my kid. I think it would be a great way for you to finish up school if you're ok with her!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• This for me would be a no brainer. Of course I would take the opportunity. If you really want to complete your edecation this would be the time. They get to see Mom studying and going to school - just like they will doing. You can have her bring them in between classes, and on non class days you have them. When they go to bed - study your rear end off, write papers.....

I would caution against going full time. The in class part is not so bad. It is the reaserch, paper writing, and all those other things outside that are required that can take away from that family life. So stick to one or two classes and make your way there slowly but surely and without having to compromise your family or social life. It is called the "non traditional student" when you go back to school.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Just make sure if you agree with your MIL that she honors her "promised". You don't want to be in a situation where your MIL backs up on her decision to help you out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Nope. Then again, I think online classes are easier so that is what I am doing. It means I get to continue to stay at home with my boys and get my education.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• What would be the best for your kids is to stay at home with them and then go back to school after they both start school. Take your classes only when they are in school and be there to pick them up at the end of the day. You MIL cannot take your place. Your kids need you to care for them during the day. I am a SAHM. I have a Bachelor's Degree and teacher certificate. I quit work to be my kids' mom and have never looked back. My current job of mommy is far more important than anything else I've ever done.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If I had someone that I trusted enough to care for my son you can best bet i'd be jumping at that opportunity..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would do it in a heartbeat! How lucky you are! Go for it! Good luck! That's great!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Annie...
    What a generous offer!

I'm a MIL - and have been a DIL - and have done the gone back to school thing - soo saying all that, I'd have to also say, it really depends on the relationship your MIL has with you, your family and her perception of herself with her grandchildren.

If she respects your family's way of raising kids (if her methods are different from yours), that's one thing - but if she has her way and it's really different from what you all are comfortable with, I'd give it some serious thought and conversation. If she were to see herself as a mother substitute, or a 'better' parent, I'd be wary. I'd want to be clear on the expectations of roles.

Half time back to schooling might be a good solution, in any case. 2 and 4 year olds are a lot of work full time for any grandma!
    AnnieBAnnie

Answer by AnnieBAnnie at 11:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2009