Not sleeping enough?

My daughter is almost 5 months and she doesn't sleep very much. I don't just mean not sleeping through the night. She only sleeps about 8hours at night, then doesn't nap in the day.
Once in a while she will have an hour or so nap in the day, but this is rare.
Is this okay? Should I try to force her to have naps? What bad can come of not sleeping enough?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 9:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was that age he slept through the night but during the day it was a struggle! He would take like 2-3 cat naps -- 20 minutes at a time. That lasted for maybe a month or two.

Now at 10 1/2 months he's sleeping 12 hours at night and 2, 2 hour naps during the day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm not sure if it's a stage they go through or what. You can always call your Doctor if you're concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my daughter did the same thing she sleeps through the night but only had small cat naps maybe 2x a day now that she is going on 7 monthes she is starting to nap 3 times a day again for alittle longer so i cant tell ya why they do it but i guess its pretty common for some babies to be like that.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i would say that a baby needs to make their own schedule and it's not gonna harm them not to sleep much if it's because she really doesn't need to nap. sometimes my son will stay up all day but he gets really cranky and fussy. i would not force her to take naps, but maybe if u can, in the middle of the day, make it quiet in the house, close the blinds, sit in the rocking chair and give her a bottle and see if she will mellow out enough to nap. or you could put her in the crib and check on her every 5 minutes while she cries and she might get herself to sleep. my son only takes 2 quick naps or one kinda long nap like an hour. he sleeps through the night or wakes up once and doesn't nap much.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My baby sleeps about 8 hours at night also . During the day I am lucky if I can get an hour nap. His naps are 20 minutes.
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009