How can you tell the difference between a sinus infection and bronchitis?

I hate to take them to the Dr if they are not going to get any prescriptions...I will just Dr them here....but if they need some meds I wanna take them....UGGGG How can you tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• sinus infection is in the sinuses, brochitis is in the chest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Bronchitis has more of a cough, and it is from the chest really deep. There can be wheezing, too. Listen to your kids chest and have them breath deep if it is bronchitis you may be able to hear congestion in there lungs. You have to be careful with bronchitis though because it can turn into pnumonia really quick. I have a tendency to put off taking myself to the dr. when I am sick and I have had bronchitis turn into pnumonia quite a few times.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:42 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If it is bronchitis, your child will be coughing and wheezing, it actually hurts to breath and cough. If it isn't treated, it will turn into pnemonia. If it is a sinus infection, they will have pressure or pain in their head, usually around the ears and forehead. The face will feel numb and have pressure around the nose and cheeks. There may or may not be mucus in the nose. Both need antibiotics to clear them up. I have had a sinus infection so bad that I was given pain killers to get rid of the sinus headache. Neither are anything to fool around with. Take your child to the doctor and find out what is wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Both sinus infection and bronchitis need medication. Usually when I get bronchitis it is because the drip from a sinus infection has gotten in there. Coughing up discolored stuff means bronchitis (it is how I suspect that I have it, anyway), dripping discolored stuff from the nose or down the throat can be sinus. I agree with tyfry to get medical care, especially since they can get worse.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If it's bronchitis, they will have a very nasty cough. If it's sinus infection, their face will hurt when you push on their checks. Either infection will most likely get them antiboics as they are typically a bacterial type infection.

Neither one should be ignored and both can cause great pain. Plus, if it's broncitis, it can quickly turn into pneumonia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• A sinus infection would be in the sinus (most likely thick mucous and pain) and a bronchitis is in the bronchial tubes and typically causes tight breathing and a bad cough.

A sinus infection would need anti-biotics because it is a bacterial infection but bronchitis would not need anti-biotics becuase it is viral. Although it would most likely need an inhaler to help open up the bronchiols and sometimes steriods are helpful to decrease the inflammation in the bronchial tubes
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009