What is the correct way to discipline a 15mth old?

He has a temper already, throws himself on the floor & bangs his head into stuff, don't want him to hurt himself but don't know how to resolve it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ignore him, he's doing it for attention
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You can't discipline a 15 month old. At that age, any attention is good attention, whether it's positive or negative. Positive attention is still better attention. Who doesn't like to be told they're doing a good job? So I made an effort to "catch my kids being good". If they were doing something I liked, I told them so. If they were doing something wrong I didn't make as big a deal of it. I removed them from what they were doing, told them no, but didn't go on about it. They got more attention if I was happy with them.

What worked for me is telling my boys what I wanted them to do, not what they couldn't do. Instead of telling them they couldn't touch something, I told them that they had to leave it on the shelf. It takes a bit of effort, trying to find the right way to word something, but my children are well behaved. Plus, it saves the "NO words" for the dangerous stuff because it's different from normal.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• redirect give him something else to focus on if not completely ignore him...im tryinmg to find the thing on youtube...but there is one child that stops throwing tantrums after their mother leaves the room and walks to the mother and starts screaming again...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My daughter is going through the same thing right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my son does this sometimes, he's 19 months , I've tried picking him up when he does this to try and alleviate the problem, but it just makes things worse, he wants nothing to do with anyone when he's in this mode, so I let him be , I keep with in sight , and when he's done usually only lasting no more than 5 min, he comes running to me, and usually falls asleep after I feed him. spanking or punishing him in anyways will only make matters worse, when someones in a fit of anger the last thing you want to do is hit them or cause pain infliction in any way, you can't fight fire with fire.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2009