My two year old throws things when he gets mad, how do you stop this?

My 2 yo has tantrums where he throws everything he can get his hands on, how do I make him stop this.

lynz0426

Asked by lynz0426 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When he throws something, calmly take it away and put it out of his reach. If it's a toy or other object he likes, tell him he can have it back when he shows that he will not throw it any more - for my son, things went on top of the fridge where he could see them, but not get them. Then when I returned things to him (at this age, after a couple of hours of good behavior), I reminded him why they were up there, what he needs to do to keep things. If he's throwing anything he can get his hands on, not just his toys, then you need to be proactive and remove as much as you can out of his reach so that only his stuff is available. After you've removed whatever he's thrown, acknowledged his anger/frustration by letting him know you understand why he's angry. Then give him an alternate behavior for expressing his frustration - stomping the floor, hitting a pillow, whatever works for you and him...cont.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• spank his butt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Take the stuff away if it's stuff he cares about like toys. Teach him more appropriate ways to vent his frustration. My guy used to throw things and occasionally lash out when he got frustrated but I told him that's not OK and suggested he stamp his feet instead. Now when he gets mad he has a good stomp and usually winds up giggling at the end of it. Once he's in a good mood again we can talk about what made him mad and brainstorm ways to avoid the situation again like asking for help with puzzles when he gets stuck or using a different page in his coloring book if he makes a mistake.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• One of the best skills a parent can start teaching their children now is how to acknowledge and understand their own emotions - so don't just ignore him when he's angry and upset and teach him that his emotions are bad, but instead start teaching him now the words and skills to work through his strong emotions so that down the road, he'll be able to work through them on his own and make better choices about how to display those emotions - not by throwing, but eventually by using his words. Parents need to teach their children the words for the emotions, but it takes years before they have the skill to temper their own reactions and actually use their words, so patience, consistency and compassion are your best tools for working with these outbursts.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2009