What is this saying?

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 cor. 2:14)

In a discussion this passage was brought up as an example from the Bible where is says that if you have not accepted the Holy Spirit into your heart you can't accurately understand or interpret scripture. Is this accurate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, it means that the natural man (the unregenerate, the non-believer, those who have not been born of the Spirit) cannot understand the things of God reavealed to us through the scriptures.Until you are born of the Spirit you are spiritually dead, as a result of Adams sin (he died spiritually the momment he ate of the fruit).

It becomes very clear when you look at the verse in context. Two verses above it says, "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God." (v. 12)

This is also why some non-Christians think we are weird, lol. They don't understand us or the relationship we have with God. Many times they think we are even delusional. But they can't undesrstand it either, I didn't understand before I was one.

"The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant." Psalm 25:14
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You can try to decipher Scriptures logically but you just won't "get it." The Pharisees were experts at deciphering Scriptures to fit their needs but they were blind to the real meanings.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We as humans can not understand that which is spiritual if we do not have the Holy Spirit. That is why so many have problems understanding what The Word of God is actually saying.
    Our flesh (human..person) are sinful and we want to do the things that are not pleasing to God. God is a spirit. When He left after He rose from the grave...He left His Spirit here to be our guide; so that we would have comfort and understanding.
    The Word of God is no longer a mystery when we are filled with His Spirit. We see and read exactally what it is that He is telling us. It is Him dwelling within our earthly bodies. (vessels).
    Did that help you at all?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 11:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• OP here: I thought the passage was pretty clear, but was told that that was not an accurate interpretation of scripture. I'm waiting on a response to tell me exactly why it's not, but I was wondering what some of your thoughts on this were.

There are several ladies on here who have a better understanding of scripture than I do and who are very good at explaining it. And michiganmom and bloodbought, you're obviously two of those ladies :-)
    Anonymous

• Yes it is accurate because the gullible will see what they want to see and the sceptical will see the manipulation.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2009