Is it wrong or selfish to tell someone you love them when you know they don't reciprocate?

Say- a friend you've developed feelings for, or someone you've been dating.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• No it is not wrong that is how you feel about them and how will they know that you feel that way about them if you dont tell them. Either way it is how you feel and they can react accordingly.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 10:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No. I think you need to be prepared for them to tell you that they don't feel the same way, and possibly for them to feel uncomfortable and end the friendship or the dating relationship if they don't feel they ever will feel the same way. But I don't think it's wrong to tell them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No there is nothing wrong with it, but don't be upset when they dont answer back. In order to maintain a good friendship you have to be open with your feelings to avoid any awkwardness. It IS wrong if you have said it, they told you they didnt feel comfortable with it, and you continue anyway.
    Joshiesxmama

Answer by Joshiesxmama at 12:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I don't think it's wrong. I think it's honest; however, I have said it knowing it was not reciprocated and it ruined what I had with that person. I don't have a lot of regrets in life but that is one of the few I did have. I truly wish I had not said it. We had a friendship that was amazing. I should have kept my true feelings to myself. Then again, what is meant to be will be so maybe things would have fallen apart on us whether I said it or not. Who knows? Do what you think is right.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2009