Does anyone have a good recipe for a breakfast fruit smoothie for a baby?

I'm trying to get my dd to eat more fruits. She'll eat an entire banana for breakfast, but other than that she doesn't get many fruits since she's stopped eating purees. I've heard people doing breakfast smoothies. Anyone have an example of a recipe? Do I just give it to her in a sippee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've made fruit smoothies with frozen fruit, (I've used bananas I froze myself and packaged strawberries and raspberries, but any frozen fruit would work), yogurt (I use organic vanilla flavored), and milk. I don't use set amounts, I just toss the ingredients into the blender, start blending them and if I think I need more of one thing or another I just add things in until it's how I'm wanting it to be. Super healthy, super yummy!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Plain, whole milk yogurt (because my son is TINY) or Lofat Plain yogurt, and frozen berries. I bet you can even use frozen fruits. If over 12 mos, you can do half yogurt, half milk, or 3/4 yogurt, 1/4 milk, to the desired consistancy. If under 12 mos, you could probably mix with formula or breast milk if you would like it thinner. I only did it after he was 1, so I used a bit of whole milk, or breast milk if i had some pumped.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Also, forgot to add- a lot of the time, i just use whole milk and frozen berries. I have a magic bullet type blender, so I fill the cup with the berries first, then add milk until full, and my kids both like them. They get smoothieish (lol) because the fruit/berries are frozen.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I personally like to do pineapple, strawberries, and orange juice. Of course this only works over one year old with no acid reflux problems. Strawberry banana and kiwi made with nonfat yogurt or milk are probably good to start off. I wouldnt do it in a sippy cup though, it might be too hard to suck depending on the consistancy and if a piece of fruit blocks the opening the poor dear LOL. I would serve it like yogurt, in a bowl with a spoon.
    Joshiesxmama

Answer by Joshiesxmama at 1:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• frozen banana, frozen blueberries, kale (loaded with iron and calcium), splash of orange juice or kiwi or other vitamin source (C increases the absorption of the iron), yogurt

Answer by rkoloms at 4:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Not a smoothie, but really tasty:

Avocado Pudding
    2 avocado's peeled and pit removed
    1 tablespoon cocoa or carob Powder
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1/4 cup maple Syrup
    2 dates soaked (op)
    blend in blender till smooth

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2009