Do they make PCs or laptops for children?

I think my five year old daughter is old enough to play some of her computer games by herself, but I don't want to leave her alone on my computer. I would like to get her a computer that is designed for young children, but the only ones that I have seen seem to be no more than fancy video games. I'm looking for something that would allow her to play other games, not just the games that come with the computer. Does a computer like this exist?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 10:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know about that but I just added a seperate account on my laptop and blocked everything but PBSkids.org, Nickjr.com, and Playhousedisney.com. My 2 year old DD then turns on the computer, her half is not password protected so she'll click on her picture for her account, then there is just her icons with the three websites and some kid games on it which she can full navigate herself. Children learn things like that so fast, show them a few times and they'll have it. I had her learn first on the laptop because the mouse was too big for her little hand. Now she has it and uses the desktop too. Teach them to respect the computer and they can use it. If my DD gets fustrated that she can't do something she'll hit the keys but I usually only have to tell her once that if she does it again she's off of it. I do have to come over to the computer often because she'll right click or something, but as time goes on she does it less.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 11:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• IM sure you can get a mini one and just block what you dont want her to have access to :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Here's what I did:
    I made a very limited account for her on my computer - she can't make any changes to the computer settings for example.
    I got her a child's keyboard and mouse. Since my little one was only 2 at the time, I got her a large keyboard instead of a small one. The large one makes it easy for tiny kids to find the right key but the small ones make it easy for young school kids to learn to type. Both have uses, you have to weigh your child's age and abilities. The little mouse is just easier for smaller hands to use.
    These are the ones I got:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-11103-Keyboard-Mouse-Bundle/dp/B001DCDXU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248021414&sr=8-1
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Why on earth would a child need a personal computer? There is no reason, especially at that age.

Make a limited user account on your computer/the family computer.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009