night time potty training?

I dont even kow how to fraise the question. But I have a four year old daughter that still pees in her bed. My sone whoes three dosent pee his bed. She's still small so I throw a pull up on her at night but she's starting to want to go to sleep overs and I want to have this problem fixed first. I just dont know how to go about it.

Tishanti

Asked by Tishanti at 10:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is three and latelt has been wetting the bed too. It's just a matter of how hard the child sleeps and what he or she is aware of. I've found that cutting off liquids an hour or two before bedtime helps a lot! And as hard as it is for me to do, I wake up once at night to take him to the bathroom so that he's aware of needing to go at night. It's working well. But he has little sleepovers and I usually just send him in a pull up and he changes himself in the morning. She'll catch on! Just be glad your son got it so quickly!! :) Good luck!
    sandandsurfgirl

Answer by sandandsurfgirl at 11:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It's common and normal for many, many kids to wet the bed until age 6 (some even later).

First, stop comparing your kids. Your son isn't "better", "smarter", or "more advanced" because his bladder can make it all night or because his brain wakes him up if he has to go. I know you probably don't think you are comparing them - but you are. And she knows it.

What to try:
    Try putting panties under the pullup so she can feel the wetness. Or just try putting her in panties. Give it a week. See if she improves. If not, try again in a few months. Make sure she knows you are just checking to see if her body is ready to make it all night.
    Wake her in the middle of the night to go. This means you have to get up too but if you can find the time she usually pees and get her a 1/2 hour before that, you have a good chance of helping her brain learn to hear that signal and wake her on it's own.

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• For sleepovers, your daughter can put a pullup on in the bathroom when she changes into her jammies - no one needs to know. You can even give her a ziplock baggie to put the wet pullup in in the morning to bring home so she doesn't have to throw it out there.
    If she's still wetting at 5, try a bedwetting alarm. They have a high success rate.

What not to try:
    Punishment and shaming. You'd be surprised how common (and subtle) it is.
    Limiting fluids. It really does not work and is not recommended by the AAP. Her body will keep filtering her blood and keep producing urine even if you cut off all fluids by noon. Many parents think it helps but in truth, the other steps they are taking are what is helping.

Remember this is common. While it is more common in boys, it happens to girls too. I would bet that at least one of her friends is having the same problem - but no one talks about it. She is not alone!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think she is kind of small for sleep overs, although if you think she is prepared for this it is true you need to address this issue. NOw what I used to do so my daughter or son wouldn't pee in their bed was not to give them any liquids 1 or 2 hours before bed, that way whatever they have drinked prior has left their bladder. Also, before they go to sleep take them to the toilet and ask them to go pottie even though they tell you they dont need to. Now it is always good that during the night if is a boy you would know that they need to go pottie because of the obvious reason, but for a girl all I used to do was woke her up about 3-4 hours of night sleep and take her pottie and warn her about that if she needs the bathroom to call me I be right in the other room, and it worked pretty well for me. I hope this might be a little help for you?

love,

Zorylaine
    zorylaineperez

Answer by zorylaineperez at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2009