• In the Spotlight:

How to teach my children what I believe?

I'm only 20 with four kids. But before anyone judges me all my child hood has been in and out of foster homes full of sexual abuse. My first child is a rape baby and I have been having sex with whoever asked simply because I felt they respected me because they asked. As you can see I have/had many problems. I recently accepted Jesus christ as my Lord and savior but the fathers of my kids arent exactly on board. How do I teach my kids my new beliefes without confusing them?

Tishanti

Asked by Tishanti at 11:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Let them know that everyone makes mistakes and bad decisions. Let them know that they are a blessing from the lord. That the Lord sent you them to try and get your life straight. Let them know that you have accepted Jesus and as many bad things that you've done, God still loves you for it, and God forgives you. I can see why you're confused on how to teach them. I hope I helped
    Joshiesxmama

Answer by Joshiesxmama at 11:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i agree with joshiesxmama
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Congratulations on your new found faith!

I am sorry you have had a tough time, but glad you have found a new type of life!

I would suggest to find a GOOD loving church that will help you learn how to teach your children!
    Notice I say GOOD church, there are many that are not good. Look for one that openly welcomes you and seems to be thrilled you are attending. Listen to your heart and God will lead you to the right one.

But also go into the church knowing that the other believers that attend are sinners just like the rest of us, they will mess up from time to time as well.....

Hope it all goes well for you!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The best way to teach your children it to be an example. Live your life in your new faith and be open about your beliefs and tell them all about it. Find a great church and take them to Sunday school. It will become second nature after a time and you won't even realize you are teaching them.

Anonymous

• First, I'd set up a regular time for family worship. I agree that you should set the example by having a steady devotional life of your own. As the see you following Christ with consistency, they will follow you as you follow Him.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am going through a similar situation. I just tell my child the truth.God loves everyone dearly, and I pray with my daughter everynight before she goes to sleep.I alsways prasie the Lord, and say I love Jesus.Because I do. My daughter does also. I do not force her to say or do anything. She sees me pray and wants to pray.She hears me praise and wants to praise Jesus.As parents we teach best through example.Good for you!! Welcome to the family and if you ever want to talk to anyone or add a friend get a hold of me. God bless your journey with the Lord.God bless your family as well. Also lead by example with your hubby.He'll come around once he sees how God has affected you and your life. ~Jean
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• All those answers are great so I won't add to them. First, I want to remind you that you are now a new creature. You are God's precious daughter, He loves you and will never reject you. Remember that no matter what. Second, I wanted to ask if I can pray for you? I don't know who you are or the specific needs, but our God does.
    In His grace,
    Kim Q
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I Praise the Lord for your salvation! How exciting! There are a couple things you could do. Like others have said it is important to model your belief. Talk to them about Christ and God........In little everyday types of ways like how he created the world and how he loves us. I also think it's important to get involved with a great Bible based church that loves Jesus! Our church has wonderful programs like Vacation Bible School and Sunday school classes, youth groups etc for kids. Church also has great classes to help you grow in the Lord as well......it's a wonderful support and a great place to connect with other believers and grow in the Lord together.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• by leading them by example. You had a hard time, you made the best of it as you could.. your now reaching out to make it even better for your children. You may have did some things you were not proud of, but you learned from them.. that is the greatest lesson you can teach your kids.. learn from your mistakes to try to be a better person in life. Your already starting in the right direction. Keep positive, and keep going.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Live your beliefs. If you are Christian this also means aspiring to love (in the true sense of "Love" - "caring" - NOT lust) everyone around you. Strive to forgive and let God heal you, and share your journey in a loving way with your children. Talk with them honestly but always lovingly, thinking of what they can and should understand of what you are experiencing, and sharing their experiences. Don't be afraid to share your humanity.

Please keep in mind, the journey of faith isn't a straight ascent. It is more like a roller-coaster. You are going to go through periods of doubt, though there are times of such faith this seems impossible. Sometimes it seems easy. Other times it is a struggle. You need to keep trusting God to guide you - although that is sometimes the hardest thing to do. He will get you through the difficult times and the joys beyond them are even greater than before. God bless you and your family.

Jovaiel

Answer by Jovaiel at 9:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009