Do you bathe your baby every night for a bedtime routine?

My son is 6 months and I wanted to get a routine going so my son can start getting himself to sleep in his crib easier. I gave him a bath, put him in a sleeper, give him a bottle, and put him in the crib. But I thought that you weren't supposed to bathe a baby every night or it will dry out his skin. Maybe i can let him play a little bit in the water but don't wash him and only use soap to wash him every other night? I think it's the splashing around that wears him out cuz for the last 2 nights he has just passed out after his bottle and slept in his crib all night. So do you bathe your baby every night or what do you do for a routine?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt bathe josh every night when he was that age. If it works for you as a parent, then do it. If you notice his skin getting dry, just add a baby massage with lotion to his routine :)
    Joshiesxmama

Answer by Joshiesxmama at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have 5 children and have always bathed them every night for the routine. Baby soap is very mild and if you use lotion then he should be fine. I the summertime I always let my kids have their popsicles (sp) in the bath.. ages 1, 2, & 3 LOVE this
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I don't bathe my son every night... but he does play alot before he goes to bed. LOL Normally he gets a bath every other day or at least twice a week
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I do bathe my son every night. There is a big difference in how he sleeps when he doesnt get his bedtime bath. He sleeps awesome now with a daily routine.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 12:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i do put lotion on him after every bath. it seems to tire him out well to give him a bath and lotion
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I bathe my dd every night. I put the night time baby soap in the water and just wash her like that. My mom gave me this jar of baby oil and mineral oil mix to put on her skin to help from drying out. She is really, really greasy at night but she has never had a problem with dry skin.
    MONIVEMOM

Answer by MONIVEMOM at 3:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my son gets a bath every night, always has. he's 8mos now, and loves his bath.

to help with the dry skin, I put a squirt of baby oil in my son's bath water, it really helps to keep his skin nice and soft.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Bath everynight along with massage....
    Joy1Roberts

Answer by Joy1Roberts at 8:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I give my daughter a bath EVERY night i dont miss it! I do it mainly for being clean. I hate when I dont shower for a day I feel so gross so i can imagine they feel the same. I put her diaper on and then lotion right after getting out of the bath then her pajamas and a warm bottle and she is out. If i give her a bath a little early then she plays a little and then warm bottle. That is our night! 1 more thing, it is your choice. Every parent is different you are not wrong for what you want to do. Every parent knows what is right and best for the child. I am a big believer in that. :) Enjoy your baby sweetie! :)
    KehoeFamily

Answer by KehoeFamily at 12:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Love having a bath ritual. Then if hes still up for a bit iread to him. hes only 3.5 months but still they say to get a ruitene going at a young age. I like it to, its a nice end to the night. i always use lotion afterwards bc I LOVe the smell of baby lotion. Then I cuddle him and give him his bottle. Been sleeping good since 2 months old.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2009