When did you stop laying on your back and stomach during pregnancy?

in the baby book I have it says to stop laying on your back at 16 weeks, but it seems thats the only way I can lay without my back getting all kinked up. I can get comfortable laying half on my belly half on my side, but Im not sure If i can lay like that. Ive asked other Moms and they says they slept on their bellies til they had the baby. When did you guys stop sleeping on your back/stomach if at all?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 12:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I stopped sleeping on my stomach pretty quickly into my pregnancies because it just became uncomfortable. I had 5 pregnancies and slept on my back through most of them though towards the end I'd begin to sleep on my side because when you have a big baby and you lay on your back the weight of the baby will shift and push up on you and can make you feel like you're having trouble breathing and it also isn't good if you're suffering from heartburn.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am 34 weeks, and I sleep half on my belly, and half of my side- its the ONLY way I can sleep-
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Pretty much never. I would try to go to sleep on my side, but I would often wake up on my back. My doctor said if it was cutting off circulation to the baby it would also be cutting off circulation to my legs and would be very uncomfortable. Not that anyone should ignore the recommendation to sleep on your side, but if you're ending up on you back unconciously, don't stress about it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I slept however i was comfortable when i was pregnant. When I got so big I would just sleep in whatever position allowed me to sleep for a stretch without getting up to pee. I asked my doctor when I should stop sleeping on my back and he told me to just be comfortable but if I felt short of breath/uncomfortable or if I started having contractions I should lay on my left side.
    Anonymous

• yeah, while pregnant you pretty much sleep in whatever way you can get to sleep. i have to sleep on my side (which DRIVES ME NUTS), all propped up with pillows because i have sleep apnia (however you spell it) and if i sleep on my back i randomly stop breathing in the middle of the night. i stopped laying on my tummy when i got my bump because i don't think laying on a little ball in my stomache was very comfortable. just do what you got to do.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 1:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I stopped laying on my back and my stomach when it became uncomfortable. You'll know when it's time to stop sleeping on your belly. You'll just have a feeling. If you don't have a feeling, just stop sleeping on your belly when your bump starts showing. As for laying on your back, as soon as you start showing you should stop. There is a main artery/vein whatever that can be crushed and cut off your baby's oxygen supply if you lay on your back. You'll also notice that it is hard to breathe when you lay this way. Laying on your left side when you can is highly recommended. I hope this helps.
    darksoulwriter

Answer by darksoulwriter at 3:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009