10 month-old sitting up?

Just a question - My 10 month-old son doesn't seem to be able to sit up on his own. We will sit him up and he will tip over within a minute or so. Dr. said that he should be able to tripod, arms out front supporting his weight, and he cries when we try to do this with him. On the other hand, all he wants to do is stand up all the time! Any answers? Also, at what age should a baby be able to hold his or her own bottle?

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 12:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter never sat up using the tripod. She kinda leaned off to the side, and propped herself up with her arm, and a little more every couple of days she would make it a little higher up until she was sitting.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Every baby will develop at a different rate. How often do you play-sit with your son? That can help. He might just take his time doing it.
    As for the bottle, my son was holding his own cup at 9 months, but he sat up at 4 months, so I don't think you should use him as a comparison.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• DD was sitting up between 4-5 months. Buy a bumbo chair to assist him in sitting up. I would think he shoud be able to sit up alone right now, but all babies are different. As far as the bottle thing- It depends on how long he's been getting a bottle. I started off strictly BFing. DD didn't get a bottle until about 3-4 months I guess, and started holding it on her own about a month after... She's been on sippy cups for over a month now, she's almost 8 months, and holds the sippy with no problem. :) Is he able to stand on his own? Or is he assisted by you? Or is he holding on to something by him self?
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 1:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my son is 8.5 months and still won't hold his own bottle. As for the sitting up...I think Deacon was 6 months when he finally sat unassisted , he didn't do the whole tripod thing either. I agree to try the bumbo seat.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Holding a bottle is not a development stage. When you're switching to a cup, they need to be able to do that, obviously, but the bottle doesn't matter. We taught ours at 6 months when we switched to a sippy.

Tripod...mine never tripodded, just went right to sitting completely on their own. But they were early, sitting on their own at 4 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• we used a laundry basket to help our little one sit up,she sat unsuported at 3 1/2 months..but she had lots of rolls holding her up.lol.u know how they say some babies skip crawling all to gether,mabe ur baby will skip siting up and be a mover.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my little girl was crawling at 9months and walking at 10! kids just progress differently. she also didnt hold her own bottle until she was 10 months old and to tis day cant take a sippy because when she tilts her head back... she falls backwards! good luck and enjoy the days of immobility! lol
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 10:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks for all the words of advice, I guess I find it hard not to compare the first child to the second! My DD sat up at 6 months and held her own bottle shortly after but didn't walk until 18 months. She did talk at 6 months and hasn't stopped for 9 years!! :) I think that the Dr.'s tend to worry you by asking all the developmental questions!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009