How do I get my son and his friends to wear a helmet?

So many kids in the neighborhood ride these bmx bikes and do their stunts. Not one of them will wear a helmet. My son says no one else wears them so I don't want to. I think will all know what could happen god forbid they fall and hit there head. Can't we all stick together and do something about it? Please????

tweetydmd

Asked by tweetydmd at 1:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• talk to the other kids moms and get your son a cool helmet with a face plate and flames or something gay that kids like
    Anonymous

• Why don't all you parents get together and have them wear helmets or take there bikes away. We are going throw the some issue with my step-children. No one else wears them so why do we have to.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Excuse me, something gay that kids like? That is so offensive!

Back to the OP, have you tried finding a video online to show your son that shows what can happen to the human cranium when kids don't wear their helmets? I mean a really gruesome one that shows brain matter. Something that will make them run to the bathroom. Sometimes it takes the brutal truth to get through to a kid and it needs to happen before he becomes a statistic.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• um maybe I am a grouchy grumpy person, but...... I think that talking about the consequences is a good thing and helpful, but..... imo it comes down to saying "wear the helmet or you don't ride." As for the other kids, yeah it would be nice but your not their parent.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 1:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Tell him, no helmet no bike.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• tell him no helmet, no bike, and that if you catch him doing it he'll loose the bike altogether...make sure he understand why he needs his helmet...let him know splattering his brains on the pavement will NOT be a good thing...i would also talk tot he other moms and see what their take on it is...you might all be in the same boat and not know it
    Anonymous

• Exactly what the other mom says, No Helmet, No Bike. That's what I tell my son when he tries copying my nephew and riding his bike without his helmet. He will eventually get the hint.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No helmet, no bike, no arguments. He is welcome to risk brain damage when he no longer lives in your home; your house, your rules

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Simple, NO HELMET NO BIKE NO EXCEPTIONS. Take the bike away if he is caught without a helmet. Take him to a hospital that has a brain injury unti and show him what happens when kids are hurt because they don't wear a helmet. Find out what the helmet laws are in your city and have the police tell your child what they are and what happens when caught without a helmet.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I agree with the above...lock up the bike...end of problem.

Get a cop to start writing tickets. How much is the ticket, tell them they have to give you that amount to hold for them in case they get busted.

On the magazines don't they have photos with helmets on?

Also, make them read five brain injury stories...just Google the topic "brain injury" under Images and collect some links...good luck...
    fooddiaryuser

Answer by fooddiaryuser at 3:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2009