does the bible say that the house work is the woman job...are we suppose to enjoy cleaning house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. You don't have to. Just do it. :)
    Anonymous

• It doesn't say that "cleaning the house" is a womans job. The closest thing I can think of is Proverbs 31 describing the woman is to be honored. Solomon wrote about a strong, business minded woman, who was very hardworking and gracious (having a lot of attributes the 50's ascribed only to men, LOL). She was like a little Rosie.

But yes, I think culture, not the Bible has given women the role of cleaning the house. Women however (and men) should not be lazy. And we should not be grumpy about our duties and make everyone else suffer because we want to complain. We should all pull our weight.

My friend works and her husband stays at home and cleans and raises the kids, becasue he is going to school part time and she makes bank. He is still the spiritual leader of the house-- it has nothing to do with culturally based gender roles.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No. I think a lot of times people take roles ascribed to genders due to customs and cultures and try to make the Bible fix into that box. The Bible never enslaves a woman to housework, nor commands that she force herself to love it lol :-)

What the Bible does say is for us to be good stewards and to do everything without complaining and arguing. What chores you and your family distrubute amongst yourselves are up to you guys.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Um reminds me of a joke. A husband an wife are arguing over who should make the coffee in the morning. He says that she should because the kitchen is her domain. She says that he should because he has to get up much earlier then her. They go back forth like this for a few days. Finally she says that he should make the coffee for it says so in the bible. He looks at her and says where show me. She opens up the family Bible to Hebrews. End of discussion. In other words as a family all should help each other out. If the husband is better at cleaning the house and enjoys it while the Wife prefers to work in the yard then that's the way it should be. If both are so busy that it's too much one the other should help as much as possible. it shouldn't fall to just one. All this does is causes resentment. We are to be partners. Honor each other.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Proverbs 31 should tell you what you want to know.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The Bible only speaks of our role as helpmate to our husbands. In our case we share duties. He enjoys cooking, I am better at the bill paying. Both are necessary tasks to run a home. We do what we are gifted to do. Also the Bible tells us to do whatever work we are doing as an act of worship to God. I care for my family because they are God's gift to me and I love them and I love Him.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The Bible says we are to be keepers of the home, so yes, women are supposed to keep the house. I believe we should do it with a happy heart and spirit...you don't so much have to enjoy it, but you do need to have a good attitude about it, not moping around and complaining about it.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 8:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• proverbs 31 the proverbial woman but also things are to be shared.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I hate cleaning but know that it is my job to do it because my husband works and we wanted me raising our kids......not a daycare.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 7:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009