Garage Sale

Do you have any tips for having a garage sale.
I'm having a tough time pricing things. I want to get rid of everything, but I have some nice stuff so I'd like to get a fair price. How do you decide how much to charge?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If something is in like new condition I would charge about half what it costs new. That is a fair price for you and the buyer. My mom and step-dad have a resale shop and that is what they do and it works really well for them. They could probably get a little more than that but they want to sell it and get it out the door and have room for more stuff to sell.

I wouldn't take the same route with clothes. No one is going to a garage sale to pay half price for clothes. Think of what you would be willing to pay for them if you were the shopper.

Remember, if you ask too much, you can always go down on the price. But if you don't charge enough, you can't just raise the price because someone shows interest. Price accordingly. Also, when you price a little high, it makes the buyer feel like they got a better deal when you 'bargain' with them.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You have to remember people go to garage sales for a nice bargin- I am having a baby blowout sale, that I advratized in two news papers girls clothes 0-3T name brands, most of which never have even been used, in compleat outfits including shoes!!
    Than some cribs, jumpers, bouncys, swings, just about ANYTHING you would need for a baby I will have at this sale.
    Because I advritized it in two papers, and almost all things are in boxes never been used to slightly used I'm going a little more expensive.
    Like the brand new clothes with tags are gonna be 3-5 dollars an outfit, slightly used clothes 1.75 and outfit
    the 3 cribs are $50.00 a peice because there grandmas cribs, so there not very used or no slobber, and no dammage.
    the bouncies/swings and things of that nature if they are still in boxes never been used I'm going 25.00 if there used I'm going 15.00 chances are people will just buy the new ones if its only a few more $
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'm a yard sale junkie shop every saturday also have owned my own Thrift store. I will not pay more the a dollar for kid's clothing no matter what the brand name is. Adult clothing varies on the condtion or what it is jeans I will pay up to $3.00 shirt's $2.00. Everything else the genreal rule of thump is no more then 10% of what you paid new.. Unless it is electronic you can preety much price those at as much as you won't.

It all depend's if you want your stuff to sell or not if I walk into a yard sale and everything is way over priced I walk right out not worth even looking.
    When I have mine I alway's price children's clothes at .50 cent's and adult $1.00 cause I want them to go. I alway's have a .25 cent table dvd's I charge $2.00 for toy's depend's on how used and if everything is their.
    tabbers133

Answer by tabbers133 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Well, my mom and I garage sale a lot. I will pay what I am willing to pay. And the only time we have ever turned around and just left a sale is when all they had was junk. I won't leave just because the prices are high. I'm not a snob. If something is priced higher than I want to pay, I will just ask the owner if they will come down on it. And usually they will. Kids clothes absolutely can be sold for more than a dollar. If they are nice and especially popular brand names, someone will be willing to pay a couple of dollars for a cute outfit.

Like I said, you can always go down on the price but you can't ever raise it in the middle of bargaining.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 6:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• casparskitty Wow thank's for calling me a snob... just cause you think it's all junk does not mean it is.. hum snob me? I was just telling her what I do...
    tabbers133

Answer by tabbers133 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009