How can I get off welfare??

No matter how much we try we get shoved right back down. We've asked our parents to babysit until I can get a day job then pay them for daycare...they said no.....(they have too much shopping to do). We tried to go without welfare but we went hungry. I got an overnight job but I was only getting 2-4 hours of sleep so someone (think it was the inlaws) called CPS on us saying that I was working overnight and didn't sleep enough to take care of the kids in the daytime. Darned if you do...darned if you don't! My DH works and we get benefits through his job so it's helps but it's like noone will give us a break! I personally hate being on welfare...it makes me feel like a horrible mom. I'm going to college online and we always try to do the right thing but we always end up struggling. It's been 4 years.....we're doing alot better but it's taking too long!!! I want to live in my own house and have a full pantry. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know it's cheesy for me to say, but be patient and keep doing what you're doing. There are a lot of variables to consider when trying to get back on your feet. What kind of work do you prefer? Have you ever considered going to school? There are resources out there, especially for moms. Working from home is always a possibility but it takes serious drive to do that. And finding a good WAHJ is hard to come by. I'm sure there are other moms on this site who'd be happy to share their experience working from home with success. Whatever you decide, best of luck.
    islandmom85

Answer by islandmom85 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'm currently going to college. I tried fast food and hate it. 99% of the time I get sexually harrassed and the managers refuse to do anything about it. I'm waiting to get my school money so them perhaps I can put the kids in daycare. I'm also 8 weeks pregnant.

I'm the original question asker...sorry bout the anonymously thing I just get hurt when people talk mean to me.
    Anonymous

• i complain all the time about people abusing the system. it is people like you that the system was built for. hold your head high. things will get better. dont let your pride get in the way. you can only take it one day at a time. there is a program to pay for daycare if you can fit a work schedule in. just get done with school then go from there.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 1:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The fact that you're going to college is awesome. I know you're in a hurry right now, but why not take this time and concentrate on your schooling so you can get the grades you need. Once you graduate, hopefully there will be a job out there for you that will put your family in a better situation. You're doing what you can right now to better your financial problems and that's great!
    Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• On camus there is a department where they can help you find a job.I know you have to go on campus to pick up your books.Check it out.
    Anonymous

• Oh the wonders of the system never fail to amaze me. You cannot afford to go to college. What you need is a full time job... put the kids in daycare and feel free to join the rest of society.

KIDS WAKE UP AND REALIZE>>> Kids are expensive. You become a mom and your life is devoted to you kids. ITS NOT YOURS ANYMORE.

I wouldn't help you out either. Get up, get going.. we all do it. Everyday damn day of our lives.
    Anonymous

• ignore miss bitch anon :48- your doing your best...college is IMPORTANT!!! college will give you the tools to get a good full time job in the future. talk to your dhs worker and see if your eligible for daycare assistance. and ask for the Child care resource network number for your state. they can send you a list of daycare providers who have been state qualified and who have low income prices.(i know, i am a CCRN provider,it's what i do)
    Anonymous

• Well here I am I worked my way off welfare and it was a hard trip but one worth doing. You rock on sister you do what you have to do there is no shame in you game. As far as anon:48 Do not listen to that kind of bitterness. But Do take care of yourself and your family and if you ever need to talk PM me or IM me! You work and take care of your own!!

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Well, how about using bc so you can avoid additional children? Sorry, but children are very expensive. It's hard to dig yourself out of a hole with a funnel. You have to make "Different" choices. Best of luck, the econmy is tough for everyone right now.
    Anonymous

• It does take time and you're working in the right direction by going to school, working and trying to get out of the system. I am happy to hear someone saying that they don't want to be on welfare anymore because all I see around here are people who are conceiving new ways of staying on welfare and how to get more money from it!! Unfortunately, child care is very expensive but there are programs out there to help with child care. Ask your Dept. of Human Services if there is a program that will help pay day care expenses so that you can work during the day. It doesn't bother me to see people getting assistance if they are trying to help themselves. It will be hard, you will have some tough times, but if you're really determined to make it happen, it will. Just be patient and keep taking your college classes and in time you will be able to get off of welfare. Best wishes to you and your family.
    tkobabe

Answer by tkobabe at 7:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009