is this considered neglect?

I have a 18 mt old and he didnt cry much as an infant but now he cries all the time. And honestly after figuring out he's not tired bored hungry wanting attention or wet. I let him cry i watch him cry until he decides to shut up. is tha bad parenting?

Tishanti

Asked by Tishanti at 1:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not at all. Children must learn to calm themselves. As long as he is not needing feeding, changing, burping or hurting, then left him cry, it is OK.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 1:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It's lazy. You really think he's crying for no reason?
    Anonymous

• My Dd is the same way. I feed her, change her, play with her, hold her and then when I go to do something she screams herself red in the face as if I was torturing her. Do I let her cry? Yes. I have to or I would never get anything done. she has GOT to realize that I am not at her beckon call. I look forward to her getting older and being more negotiable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• As long as your sure nothing is wrong....sometimes you just have to let them cry. It doesn't hurt them.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Anon: I am so happy for you that you had such an easy child that they never cried for no reason but not every child is like that. Believe me my son was easy easy easy. Never cried. But this time around though we have done nothing different we have not gotten such happy results. some babies just cry more than others.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It depends.

Sometimes my daughter cries if I've taken something away from her that she can't have. She'll follow me around and cry. But she'll stop crying within a minute. If she cried for a long period of time, I'd pick her up and comfort her. She's not spoiled.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my daughter does that sometimes too, and there had been times where i put her in her room so she cant get hurt a let her alone she stops after a few minutes and starts playin with her toys...and not lookin forward to school startin cause she is gonna get worse b4 better being the boys wont be around to play with her and i cant spend every second catering to her when i got house to clean laundry and meals to cook....i know that sounds bad but they have to learn to occupy themselves and i dont want to raise a needy child...
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 3:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• honestly, if you've tried everything else, what else can you do?! sometimes I have to take my daughter outside to get her to calm down. Sometimes, she's jsut having a fit and I have to let her get it out of her system. when he calms down, try to get him to communicate wtih you. Ask him to show youwhat he wanted or why he was upset. Over time, she should be able to answer these questions and help you understand, too.
    Anonymous

• At 18 months, a child still has trouble communicating their needs and will cry in order to get attention. A better approach might be to encourage him to tell you what he needs rather than ignore his crying.
    KristinV83

Answer by KristinV83 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i would tell him when hes ready to calm down come and get u and u will then figure out what he wants my dd pointed at things she wanted intill she got the vocab to speak this worked for us
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009