Do you think 15 months is too early?

My son is a year old now but i was thinking about introducing him to potty training around 15 months or so. I am not expecting him to be potty trained by 2 years but i dont see the harm in introducing something to a child so they learn to understand better. Do you think 15 months is too soon to INTRODUCE(not start potty training) for a littly boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think so.

We bought Kaylee a potty chair for her first birthday so that she would be familiar with it. If she insists on following me into the bathroom (like she so often does!) I make her sit on it. i don't make her sit there the whole time, but I do plop her butt down on it so she knows that its not a toy.

Now, at 14 months old, she follows me in and sits on it herself and sits there almost the whole time. Soon I will start taking off her diaper and things and sitting her on it so she doesn't think its weird to be sitting on it with a nakie butt (but she is showing other signs of being almost ready - such as grabbing her diaper when she is wet, and bringing me the wipes when it is time to be changed)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• In my experience introducing them early is best & often they just get the idea very quickly so there is never any real "training" needed. They learn early what the potty was for & pretty soon just start telling you they need to go. Life is made easier for the child & the parents.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I started my daugter's potty trainning at 12months and she is 16months and a half. In my opinion intruducing it is not a bad idea as long as you can be same as baby's rate. I took me 2 months to potty train well my baby but I've never forced the issue. One of articles that I've read before I trained my daugter, one thing they say just be patiention go along with baby's rate otherwise it could cuase the negative effect for baby's prsonality in later life. Just make it as fun as you can do and if baby likes to follow through then go for it but other wise BE PATIENTION untill baby is ready for it. Once you try it do not stop but make it little step by step, then baby will try one day and willing to do it thier own.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not too eary. As long as you don't put too much pressure on him, you can start taking him to the potty at set times too. Patience is key. You may be training him for just a few months or it may be a few years. There is no way to tell and sometimes the smartest kids take the longest.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• no i got a potty chair for my daughter and havent started training per say but i take her with me when i go and sit her on the potty and also sit her on it while gettin ready for a bath not pushing but gettin her used to it and you never know you might get lucky like my friend her middle child at 22 months saw his older brother use the potty and decided hay i want to do that and he been using the potty ever since....so always a go idea to have one on hand
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 3:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Hmmm...I think it's ok as long you're not forcing him to use the potty. My daughter is almost 13 months, and I am going to buy her a potty chair to keep in the bathroom. She often follows me into the bathroom, so she can sit on her own potty while I do my business in MY potty lol. But I'm not even attempting potty training until she's 24 months old, unless she's showing signs that she's ready to begin EARLIER than 24 months.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• couldn't hurt to introduce it to him. but as long as he's into it and will go along with you go for it. if he resists I'd stop for a bit but follow his lead.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009