Cloth or Disposable Diapers? And Why?

My aunt just bought me 2 months of cloth diaper service for my baby on the way and I had some people tell me they loved the service. When I told my mom she said that I'll hate the cloth diapers (even though I won't have to wash them!). I'm confused! Which do you think is better? Why?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 1:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use cloth. I have pocket diapers and I love them. They work almost like disposables except that I have to wash them. I think your mother has visions of pins and leaks from the CDing days of yesteryear. It's not like that anymore! There are cute designs, cute styles, many ways to cloth diaper instead of just using plain white ones. You should join some of the cloth diapering groups on CM. I'm a member of Cloth Diapering Mamas. We also use cloth while we're out and about. I couldn't imagine putting the chemicals on my baby again, spending that kind of money, and knowing that my diapers won't spend 500 years or more in a landfill.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 5:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It depends on what way you want to go - you want convenience, you go disposable. You want earth friendly - you go cloth.

it really is about you and your lifestyle. Since you have 2 months free, might as well try it out and see how you like it :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Disposable all the way for me....much easier to deal with in my opinion, and since I don't live in a place where I actually have a cloth diaper laundering service available to me, and live an hour away from where I have to do laundry....disposable is the way to go! But ditto to CarolynBarnett, it's really all about you and what you feel is best for you!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 1:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Disposable definitely. WHile you don't have to clean the cloth ones you still need to sort of clean them... everyone I know empties out the poop etc... but try it for your free time to check it out I mean why not?!?
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i <3 cloth, and not having to wash them for 2 mos? BONUS!!! But, that's my preference. IMO cloth isn't really inconvenient, just less common.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• cloth is cheaper .dispoes is more convenient. and quick to the point. but more expensive.It really up to you. I did both .Cloth for home, and when I went out I used dispose. that way I wasn't always spending money . and I wasn't spending time with cloth diapers while I had friends and family waiting for me.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I use disposables. I like the convienence. But i see nothing wrong with the cloth ones and since you have 2 months free, why not give it a shot? You might find you like it!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Cloth is far cheaper, better on the earth, and bum safe. The only inconvenience is keeping a plastic bag around for dirty ones or washing them once a week. If you get this, poops will be a breeze.
    http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1228
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009